Question about moving hdd to new setup

SAD_DC

ok well I have my new computer set up and I was wondering if it would be possible to move the hard drive from my old computer to this one without loosing files because that's my main concern. my old computer had an amd processor with windows vista the new one has a newer amd cpu and also will have vista.

would I have to set the new computer up at the same time while the old hdd is in or do I install windows on the new setup and add the old hard drive after??

thanks.

Gusta

Can you use the old hard drive as a slave on the new computer? Just turn the old drive to an storage hard drive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sata drives can't be configured as slave drives like PATA drives can. SATA drives is configured in the bios. You pick the drive you want to boot to, that is considered master, any additional drives will be considered as slave. As long as you are using a new drive to install the OS then you can put your old drive in the new system and it won't be touched at all. It would be best to not plug in your old drive until you have the OS up and running, that way you won't have the chance to accidentally format the wrong drive.