Question about networks...

massahwahl

VIP Member
I finished setting up a network between all of my home computers and was curious if there was a way I could add my girlfriends computers to our network via the internet. Basically, if she was working on a school assignment at my house, she could have a printer at her house print it for her and such and have all of the same capabilities that a home network has.

Any help would be great!

cohen

Sound interesting... i would like to do that for school... but obviously i would need the program installed.

Vipernitrox

Absolutely.

Try installing the CISCO VPN Client on your girlfriends computer.

it's not that easy... that's just the client. You need something like a server to. Windows server 2003 with isa server on it does the trick. And even then you need to port forward things in your router and set up isa server.
This is one of the solutions there are alot of them out there probably but this works.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I read a little about vpn and apparently my router (Linksys WRT54G) has VPN capabilities and they offer a program called easy vpn or something but im not sure where to get it. It said in the description that it would port forward everything for you and such. Do you know anything about this Viper?

Vipernitrox

after doing some research i found this on the linksys product page:
supports VPN pass-through

which probably just means you can port forward vpn connections.

what i did find on the cisco homepage is something about the easy vpn server. I can't seem to find anything about how much it costs though.

Vipernitrox

not that i know of. if i were you i'd just teach her to use remote desktop in combination with an ftp server.

That way see can get files of of the network transfer files to it from anywhere she wants. And after transferring she can use remote desktop to print it or whatever. You just need to set up remote desktop on an w2k3 or winxp pro pc. Get yourself an ftp server hosting program (or use w2k3). And port forward the necessary ports (ftp: 21, remote desktop: 3389).

tlarkin

VIP Member
Keep it simple. Install the logmein client, which goes over port 80 which is already open since that is what the internet uses, and it is over HTTPS which is encrypted.

No need to worry about dynamic IPs, DNS, port forwarding, firewall rules, etc. Just install the software create an account and use a secure password. Then add her computer to your account and you can have access to it. You will have to know her passwords to her machine as well.

www.logmein.com

So much simpler then what is being mentioned on this thread.

cohen

Keep it simple. Install the logmein client, which goes over port 80 which is already open since that is what the internet uses, and it is over HTTPS which is encrypted.

No need to worry about dynamic IPs, DNS, port forwarding, firewall rules, etc. Just install the software create an account and use a secure password. Then add her computer to your account and you can have access to it. You will have to know her passwords to her machine as well.

www.logmein.com

So much simpler then what is being mentioned on this thread.

i have used log me in and i think it is great!