question about nvidia physx

kdfresh09

hello. i noticed in the nvidia control panel using the most current drivers, that in the physx settings, it gives you an option to either let the gpu handle the physx, or let the cpu handle it. im windering what i should set it to. i have a quad core cpu running at 3.5Ghz, and during most games i play the cpu load usualy stays around 50%. what would be the pro and con of running it on the cpu instead of the gpu? thanks

AcetheGamer

If the game supports nvidia's physx then letting the gpu handle the physics well yield to much better framerates than let the cpu do the task. It will look better too ( that I'm not sure if the difference in detail is noticeable, never seen one myself since I've always been an ati user ).

kdfresh09

hi, thanks for the info. so i installed mirrors edge, and played it while physx was reandered with the gpu an got about 40fps all maxed out at 1080p, then i switched it to have the cpu render all the physx and i got 50fps all maxed out, and couldnt tell the difference in the image quality. i dont understand why the image would be better or worse if i use the cpu compared to the gpu. i just figured since the cpu is only being used half of its capability, while the gpu is at close to 100%, that it would make sence to have the cpu run physx. if i am missing some concept in my thinking than please inform me. i dont know a whole lot about how this works.