Question about reloading Windows XP

SHO

I have a Dell laptop that I bought from a friend. It had XP loaded on it. When I bought it, I did not get any Windows disks, just the computer. On the bottom of the computer is the Windows XP license info. Can I use this info download what I need from Microsoft to re-install Windows or do I have to go out and buy a license? In other words, does the XP license travel from user to user?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The license transfers with the computer, so yes, you can reuse it. You may also want to look into a factory restore for your computer, as opposed to a clean reinstall. With a clean reinstall, you have to find and download all the original drivers for the laptop. Can you post the model name and number of the laptop?

SHO

The license transfers with the computer, so yes, you can reuse it. You may also want to look into a factory restore for your computer, as opposed to a clean reinstall. With a clean reinstall, you have to find and download all the original drivers for the laptop. Can you post the model name and number of the laptop?

It's a DELL 5100 Inspirion.

How would I do the factory restore?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member

SHO

Before you boot your computer, you may have an option to access a recovery partition. I'm not 100% sure about this. Also, it may be possible to create a set of recovery disks within Windows. I'm having trouble finding the correct info at the Inspirion support page; maybe you'll have better luck. Below are some useful links.

Inspirion 5100 Support Page

Request Recovery Disks

Drivers and Downloads

So, if I turn the computer on and start tapping F8, like I would to get into safe mode, if I see that option in the list, what should I do from there, chose that and follow prompts?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So, if I turn the computer on and start tapping F8, like I would to get into safe mode, if I see that option in the list, what should I do from there, chose that and follow prompts?

I'm not sure what key you would press, but if you see the option, use it and follow the prompts.

SHO

After tapping F8 during startup, none of the options available (such as safe mode etc..) were System Restore, or Factory Restore, or anything having to do with accessing a recovery partition.