Question about smartphone and tablet screens

fox64

On older or cheaper smartphones and tablets I noticed a type of screen that for example on the uniden tablet looked good in landscape mode but in portrait mode looked blurry and out of focus. On the cheap or old smartphones it's the opposite,portrait mode looks good and landscape mode looks blurry and out of focus.

I suspect this is because tablets are more used for viewing media in landscape mode but smartphones are meant to be used more in portrait mode.

(note-another idiosyncrasy of this type of screen is when you tilt it one way it goes dark and when you tilt it the other way it turns light and washed out).

What kind of screen Is this that am I describing?
I want to know because I want to avoid this type of screen ,because I'm thinking about getting a cheapo android prepaid smartphone and I want to be able to watch videos and read articles in landscape mode without hurting my eyes.

P.S.
(I noticed the fire 7 tablet and the LG K7 smartphone look good in both landscape and portait mode.what kind of screen do they have? liquid crystal or something?)

fox64

It's gotta be something to do with what kinda screen it is.
You probably remember, It's the oldschool kind where in portrait mode you tilt it forward and it goes white and you tilt it back and it goes dark. But when you turn it to landscape mode tilting left makes it white and right makes it dark. In portrait mode both eyes are on the same horizontal plane but In landscape mode, Whith humans having stereoscopic vision, one eye is more to the dark side(right) and the other eye is more on the light side(left).My theory is this is what causes the out of focus look(or its a shiny warped look, it's hard to explain).

Old school laptop have this screen too ,but you would never notice because laptops are never rotated on their side of corse lol.

Maybe there led instead of lcd or something?

Last edited: