Question about USB wireless card

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Doubtful. The wireless in your laptop should already be a G rated connection, and that wouldn't really extend the range at all. If you really wanted to up the connection, switch to an N router and N PCMCIA card, as the N frequency is a longer-range, higher-speed frequency. However, be forewarned that purchasing these two items can be quite pricey. Oh, and in general stay away from USB wireless adapters, the basic technology is quite finnicky and doesn't work very consistently, the PCMCIA cards perform quite well, though.

Strokes

Well, I should have explained. I get the signal from my neighbor 300 ft away, so all I'm looking to do is extend the range of my built in wireless card so I can get a stronger, better wifi signal. But the only problem with my laptop (HP pavilion dv6000) is that the express card slot only excepts cards that are "L" shaped, not the regular rectangle size, so USB is the only way I can go for any sort of wifi range extension.

slaphappylinksys

Well, I should have explained. I get the signal from my neighbor 300 ft away, so all I'm looking to do is extend the range of my built in wireless card so I can get a stronger, better wifi signal. But the only problem with my laptop (HP pavilion dv6000) is that the express card slot only excepts cards that are "L" shaped, not the regular rectangle size, so USB is the only way I can go for any sort of wifi range extension.

you know internet sharing amongst different houses is illegal

get your own internet connection.

jjsevdt

Unwilling sharing is illeagal. If he knows then it's not. N-E-Way, the router would have to have better anteneas or a directional since it's transmitting the signal. There's also the idea of a WiFi repeater

Strokes

you know internet sharing amongst different houses is illegal

get your own internet connection.

If it was illegal, i wouldn't care anyways. Plus I cant get any sort of high speed internet without spending at least $2000 to get a cable/fiber optic line run to my house because I live 150 yards back from the road.
Why do you say it is illegal?