Question about video cards and PSU

Kingdom

I recently got a Dell Inspiron 530, customized up to 4 GB of RAM and a quad core processor. I got the default, integrated video card so I could get my own, and got the 9600GT. I haven't installed it yet, because I'm not certain what problems I could run in to. The Inspiron only has 300W PSU default, and the card requires 350. Does the quad core version come with higher PSU, or is it still 300? Also, would I possibly be able to run it even with 300 as there is only a 50 difference?

Or would I have to order another PSU in order to get it to work at all?

bm23

you can just install the card and see if you run into any problem. if you do encounter a problem then you can just remove the card and get a new psu.

UpskirtHayley

yeah Ultra psu is afforable while at decent quality.

i would get a new psu rather than risking it. it probly damage your card if psu cant handle it.

bm23

yeah Ultra psu is afforable while at decent quality.

i would get a new psu rather than risking it. it probly damage your card if psu cant handle it.

the card would be damaged? i was under the impression that the card would just stop working if it doesnt receive enough power.

MIK3daG33K

the card would be damaged? i was under the impression that the card would just stop working if it doesnt receive enough power.

Take it from a person that has blown a power supply, GET A NEW ONE. You could damage many parts in your computer by having it blow. I however got lucky, but there is nothing scarier than hearing a *POP* and look over and your computer is off.

bm23

Take it from a person that has blown a power supply, GET A NEW ONE. You could damage many parts in your computer by having it blow. I however got lucky, but there is nothing scarier than hearing a *POP* and look over and your computer is off.

alright. thanks. many people reported that their game is crashing or computer restarting and the error turned out to be insufficient power. so i thought that's all that can happen if your PSU isnt enough. :)

StrangleHold

Staff member
It can happen, but 95% of the time if the P/S is set up right, when the supply reaches its limit it will just restart. But like said a P/S can blow!