Question about Vista x64

h3llfir3

Hello, I just joined this forum looks pretty cool :) anyways i have a question, i just got a new laptop and it is a 64 bit. ive never had one of those before and i am just wondering if i install x86 applications. what will happen to my computer? for example i tried installing firefox but when i did it had (x86) in brackets like that in the path where it was going to install. Im not sure if i should install x86 applications or not. Plz help me :D thx

mrjack

VIP Member
Welcome!

32-bit applications (x86) work just fine, Vista will indeed install the into the "Program Files (x86)" folder by default. They can however be installed anywhere and work just fine.

h3llfir3

ok, but what is the point of people making 64 bit applications if we can just use x86 applications perfectly fine?

bomberboysk

ok, but what is the point of people making 64 bit applications if we can just use x86 applications perfectly fine?
Because x86 has a limitation of 4gb of address space, for some uses such as large photos(VERY large photos...) or hd video, you need to be able to access more than 4gb memory. Same with CAD and Fluid dynamics programs.

Because x86 has a limitation of 4gb of address space, for some uses such as large photos(VERY large photos...) or hd video, you need to be able to access more than 4gb memory. Same with CAD and Fluid dynamics programs.

You don't need to access it, but you would benefit. I can run CAD programs on 32 bit easily. Encoding audio / things like that benefit from more than 4gb of ram, but a lot of laptops have chipset limitations as well.

1shado1

My computer is AMD Athlon X2 64 bit. Will it be able to use 32 bit apps? i read the wikipedia thing and i saw something about intel which is pentium right? so i was just wondering if it would work on mine too

Yes, they will work on yours just fine. Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind), what exact model laptop did you get?:D

Last edited:

h3llfir3

Yes, they will work on yours just fine. Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind), what exact model laptop did you get?:D

lol i dont mind at all :D i got the Hewlett Packard Amd athlon x2 64 bit. it has 4 gigs of ram and radeon hd 3200 graphics.. dunoo if that means anything but yeah :D

Aastii

VIP Member
intel is the company, pentium is a line, just like you are on AMD (the company) on an athlon chip (the line) ;).

Some applications won't work on 64 bit operating systems, but they are few and far between, the only ones i have found so far are very old computer games and some office software, like my old schools VPN software didn't have the programming to work on 64 bit architecture (the OS uses 64 bit instead of 32 bit architecture of your CPU).

Also, some stuff you have the option to install 64 or 32 bit version, itunes for example is one, the 32 bit won't work on 64 bit OS and vice versa, so if you ever download software, see if it has the option, if it doesn't chances are it is compatable with both :D