Question about Win 10 updates?

johnnyb58

Why does my Win 10 Laptop with have more updates then my Desktop? I’ve had to restart my lap top 3 times this week for updates and I haven’t had any updates on my Desktop.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check to see when your updates are scheduled to install between the 2. If your desktop stays on then thats the reason as well.

johnnyb58

Check to see when your updates are scheduled to install between the 2. If your desktop stays on then thats the reason as well.
My desktop says it check for updates in the middle of the night and its up to date, but my laptop required a reboot. I know my desktop never rebooted because it would have shutdown a security camera program that I keep running.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is your desktop windows 10 pro and laptop home? I believe in the pro version you can delay installing updates, where home you can't. If not, I'm not sure whats going on.

johnnyb58

Is your desktop windows 10 pro and laptop home? I believe in the pro version you can delay installing updates, where home you can't. If not, I'm not sure whats going on.
I'm not sure. The desktop has the free upgrade from 7 and the laptop came with Win 10 already installed. I can't remember how to check

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
System properties. Right Click on This PC, click on properties.

It will list what edition up top.

johnnyb58

System properties. Right Click on This PC, click on properties.

It will list what edition up top.
I can't find any place that says "System properties" or "This PC"

Never mind i just found it on the Desktop and it says "Home" I'll have to check the Laptop,

OK they are both "home" version. Well OK I guess I'll just have accept it the way it is. The only other thing I can think of is that I purchased Office on the Laptop and I'm still using the free office that came with Win 7 on the desktop.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only other thing I can think of is that I purchased Office on the Laptop and I'm still using the free office that came with Win 7 on the desktop.
That will have nothing to do with it. Office is not free. You may have paid for it as a package though.