.:: Question about Windows Updates ::.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manni420

My brother has recently gave me my computer but he says if i install windows updates they can mess up my computer.

Is this true?
Has it happened to anyone before?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I suppose it could be but chances are slim to none... Windows updates are our friend ;-) so update to your hearts content. Trust me your better off doing so.

fultz

Windows Updates themself can't mess up your "computer" they could play havok with your OS but if that happened the worse that could happen is you'd have to reinstall XP, what do you have to lose? [Besides the chances are slim to none.]

Kboy

Windows updates have messed my computer up before actually. At least that's wut my cable provider said. I installed SP2 and i couldnt get on the internet n e more, so i had to reinstall windows, that pissed me off. But the other updates might work ok.

fultz

Well, the cable internet and most tech support are full of crap and only recite possible problems from books but even if it did happen, like I said, it's possible. Most likely installing a windows update shouldn't do any harm.

manni420

My windows xp hasnt been purchases, would that effect me downloading an update, because i got sum weird message whilst i was installing an update. Cant remember the name of it though

fultz

manni420 said:
My windows xp hasnt been purchases, would that effect me downloading an update, because i got sum weird message whilst i was installing an update. Cant remember the name of it though

Are you running a pirated version of Windows XP? If you are then you won't probably have access to the updates.

manni420

Yeah i downloaded it, i got serial number and everything.

Most updates work, but when i got this message i was thinking hmmm this aint right so i just cancelled it.

fultz

Yep, you can't download some updates like the SP2 with the pirated version, ah well who needs it. :p

manni420

TRUE! Anyway i can skip an update, so i dont have to cancel the rest security updates cuz im sick of getting these f*****g blue screen errors!!!!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Windows updates have messed my computer up before actually. At least that's wut my cable provider said. I installed SP2 and i couldnt get on the internet n e more, so i had to reinstall windows, that pissed me off. But the other updates might work ok.

You know you can uninstal SP2 right?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
how about you make an SP2 cd..i dont know how but i have seen websites saying you can make one yourself

Yes I've done it. It's called slipstreaming and you can add Service packs, drivers and such.

robina_80

windows update is ok dont see the point of updating but oh well, i dont know because i went on the windows update web site and i orderd a servive pack 2 cd absolutly FREE

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
windows update is ok dont see the point of updating but oh well
\

That was my attitude on the whole subject until one day I had no choice. See everytime I instal windows XP and go online withing the first hour I'll have at least 6 viruses that persist until security updates are run. I'm surprised that not all poeple are effected but I guess it depends on the cd version? hmm anyway updates are necessary and i'm sure the same holds true for many people.

i dont know because i went on the windows update web site and i orderd a servive pack 2 cd absolutly FREE

Same here but It was a waste of my time filling out the form and waiting for it in the mail (2 weeks) because you cannot slipstream the cd version into XP. Trust me it takes just long enough to instal Service Pack 2 that you dont want to do it each time you reinstal windows.

Yeti

VIP Member
Same here but It was a waste of my time filling out the form and waiting for it in the mail (2 weeks) because you cannot slipstream the cd version into XP. Trust me it takes just long enough to instal Service Pack 2 that you dont want to do it each time you reinstal windows.
Plus slipstreaming gives you options to fill out the installation info and serial # automatically (unnattended instal). Its also nice not having to use the original CD so I don't scratch it, especially the way I treat CDs :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.