Question getting wireless signal with a wired router.

gargus

Hello.

Ok what I want is to get a wireless signal up 2 floors to my ps3 for online gaming.

I originally wanted to get a network cable up there but due to architecture its way more trouble than its worth and even snaking it through air ducts is about impossible so I am going with wireless. Just this condo is 3 floors and its built little odd and Im not going a wired route that far just for my consoles.

I would get a wireless router but I am almost certain that the signal wouldnt be near strong enough for gaming.

But I can get a network cable into the garage easily enough which is right under where I want to be so I thought maybe there is some device I could hook to the end of the cable that would put out a wireless signal, would fit nice ontop of my workbench shelf.

I thought maybe this would work but I didnt know if it would give me issues with a router being hooked to a router thats hooked into the modem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320025

Or if you have another suggestion Id appreciate it. Im over shooting but in a straight line from where the modem is to where Im going is about 40 feet max and would go through 3 walls, maybe 4.

fmw

The "strength" of the signal has nothing to do with the applications you want to run. It deals only with the reliability of the connection. If the connection is reliable then it is reliable. If it isn't, it isn't no matter how strong the signal.

gargus

Not trying to offend but that doesnt have anything to do in addressing what Im asking about. And strength is a realtive term point being that I need to be able to get a signal up there, so it needs to be strong enough to penetrate and get to where I need it to be.

massahwahl

VIP Member
It kinda does, because you should be able to get a signal across three floors with a decent wireless router.

gargus

I guess the entire point of this post is lost since no one is actually answering anything.

And that point being, just buying a cheap router might or might not get it, buying an expensive one might or not might not cut it. Im trying to figure the best way to do it, not have a discussion over my choice in wording.

But so far 2 replies and not one has addressed my problem Im trying solve. Guess I never understood if your going into a thread why bother replying if your not going to address what the thread is asking.

Im asking advice on hardware, I even asked about a specific piece of hardware.

Nevermind though, Ill go find another forum to ask on.