Question - Local Connections

SquirlChaser

Hello,

I work in small office of mostly macs, but several PCs as well. I am not a tech savy person, but we are all connected by a network where we can connect to each others computers and grab files that we need or transfer to others.

I have been having a problem with files being deleting from my computer and or becoming corrupt. When I have tried to delete the corrupt files, I get a message saying the file is being used by another computer. This morning I had created a folder on my desktop where I copied some files. I burned a disc of that folder, ejected the disc, went to the bathroom, and came back. When I tried to move the folder it said it was being used my another computer. I then opened the folder and about half the files where missing. I double checked the disc I had just burned, and everything was fine and none of the files where missing on the disc!?!

I don't know whats going on, this happens very frequently and causes me a lot of wasted time and frustration on having to re-do files and not being able to modify folders that I created on my own computer, because it says it is being used by another computer. These are not files that my co-workers would even need or be interested in.

We don't do a whole lot of transferring between computers on a day to day basis, and I haven't noticed this problem when we are transferring files over the network.

I feel like someone or something is messing with me. Is this possible for a virus or anyone connected to my computer to do this? I hate to be paranoid, but someone please help me understand!!!

aviation_man

There may be a lot of reasons why this is happening to you. But to sum it up, it'd either be 1. Your co-workers are screwing with you, or maybe your co-workers are transferring files without you knowing from your computer?
2. You have an infection
3. Computer/Networking error.

You should probably run a scan with your virus protector, if you don't have one, http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html There's a great one.

Has there ever been a networking error warning message on any of the computers before that someone may have ignored?