Question on networking - who can see who?

KingNeil

My question is shown as an image:

q0OToJz.png

Main router => Tor computer will be a WiFi connection

Tor computer => My laptop will be a wired Ethernet connection. Laptop has no WiFi chip at all.

This is really a question about simply networking itself. Ignore the Tor concept altogether.

I'm simply asking, can the main router see that the laptop is connected, or can it only see the device directly connected to it, i.e. the Tor router.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

This is really a question about simply networking itself. Ignore the Tor concept altogether.

What is your goal?

I don't think the router can see the laptop with the computer in between. Like if you were using ICS. The IP address is handled by the middle Comp. with your laptop. But I think a software network mapper could see all devices on the network.

If you're into Tor, check out Tails.

KingNeil

What is your goal?

I don't think the router can see the laptop with the computer in between. Like if you were using ICS. The IP address is handled by the middle Comp. with your laptop. But I think a software network mapper could see all devices on the network.

If you're into Tor, check out Tails.

I am planning something even better than Tails.

I'm going to have a dedicated Tor router that runs inside Qubes.

There is then a 2nd laptop that connected into the Qubes Tor router, to share the Tor connection.

Thus, even if the laptop browser gets hacked, they can only see what I'm doing, and not who I am.. Everything is routed through the Qubes Tor router.

With Tails, you are directly connected to your home router. Thus, if Tails Firefox gets hacked, then they can see your real IP address.

Geoff

VIP Member

There is then a 2nd laptop that connected into the Qubes Tor router, to share the Tor connection.

Thus, even if the laptop browser gets hacked, they can only see what I'm doing, and not who I am.. Everything is routed through the Qubes Tor router.

With Tails, you are directly connected to your home router. Thus, if Tails Firefox gets hacked, then they can see your real IP address.
Your traffic is still being sent out your main router to the internet, so there is always a chance someone can find our real IP.

Agent Smith

You do know Tails can run on a CD, right?

KingNeil

Alright.

I came to the conclusion that this is all a waste of time.

A hacker (especially nation state) would hack your main home router.

Then hack your endpoint laptop.

Then they can see that both are connected to a dedicated Tor router in the middle, through its MAC address or other identifier, such as device name.

So they can see that both are connected to the same dedicated Tor router, and thus, they can see who you are that way.

So unless you are confident that you can secure your main home router, then this idea of a dedicated Tor router is hopeless.

You would be better off using a QUBES live disc and ONLY use Tor from the very start.

As the internal NSA Snowden documents say, "one page request" is all it takes to hack you.. but note, they can only do this page request if you are actually connecting via your real IP address.

Therefore, use a QUBES live disc, use TOR ONLY (never mix it up with clearnet), and make sure your BIOS is freshly installed, and then just cross your fingers and hope you don't get hacked while using Tor browser. By all means, use NoScript etc.