Question re: the AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4200+

shelldan

Hey
Can someone tell me what I need to go with the AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4200+.
Do I need a heatsink and fan to go with this or just a fan.
Its going on a Asus M2N-SLI Delux Mobo.
If i need a fan what size do i get?
Totally lost here. Please help.
Cheers:confused:

Filip

Are you buying a retail box? If so, the CPU should come with a stock cooler (80mm), and a sticker (bad quality sticker btw), lol

If you are going to buy an after market cooler it usually says for what socket is it.

bball4life

And there is no way you can go with just a fan on a cpu, it would most likely overheat instantly. I would say a heatsink with a fan over just a heatsink, unless you have really good airflowin your case, so that you get the heat away from the heatsink so that the heat dissipates, helping cool the cpu.

And if you have not bought the cpu yet, if you can wait until the conroe release x2's are supposed to drop in price by 50%.

SC7

The Athlon 64 has an Integrated Heatsink, I'm not sure if the fan itself still has one attached or not, it could never hurt. Your biggest decision is deciding the right balance for you between Freezing cold, and Silence. OCers will go for the loud coolest running fan they can get, the average non OCer should find a balance that keeps a nice lower than stock temp, and is quiet.