[Question] Why is my PC so loud & Why does it overheat so quickly?

Dervie

Hey, lately I've been needing to leave my computer on overnight for rendering and such, but due to the loud fans (either my graphics card or my cooling fans), I can't sleep lol. I know It's odd to say, but my PC is right beside my bed and the fans tend to get really loud when I'm rendering or working on a project. Not to mention, when I play games, it really starts to work, especially on those high end games. Also, if I leave my computer on for long periods of time, and I mean really long, it gets really hot and steams up my room. My windows are wide open and I can hardly breath (okay, I exaggerated, haha).

My question is, what affects the noise in my PC, and how can I decrease it? And would a different cooling system, say a liquid cooler, control the heat within my PC and room dramatically?

- Is it my casing? Cause I believe the one I currently have is really small and isn't as sturdy. If so, can anyone suggest a nice and affordable case from either NewEgg.ca or any other Canadian website.

Thanks in advance everyone, apologies for the wall of text.

Aastii

VIP Member
How old is your system and when did you last clean it?

What are your full system specs, including your case, GPU and any additional fans you have?

Jagged_Edge

1) There's so much crap clogged up in your system and in your system's fans that they overheat craploads (happened with my current computer, which is shit anyways, which is why im buying the stuff in sig xD)
2) Stock fans/coolers are sometimes either inefficient in cooling, or really loud, or sometimes both. Which in your case, may be so. Either get an aftermarket CPU cooler, or get a couple of aftermarket case fans.

Dervie

what case do you have? whats your system stats? etc. Need to know that to tell you what would fit you best?

How old is your system and when did you last clean it?

What are your full system specs, including your case, GPU and any additional fans you have?

1) There's so much crap clogged up in your system and in your system's fans that they overheat craploads (happened with my current computer, which is shit anyways, which is why im buying the stuff in sig xD)
2) Stock fans/coolers are sometimes either inefficient in cooling, or really loud, or sometimes both. Which in your case, may be so. Either get an aftermarket CPU cooler, or get a couple of aftermarket case fans.

I currently have the Xion Solaris Black ATX Mid-Tower Case. I know, it sucks but it was free, haha. System stats? I would assume you mean my specs? I'm sorry, if so they are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3
Memory: 4gb RAM DD3 (Apparently they're are errors with them, according to MemTest, so I'm going to get a new set)
GPU: Radeon HD 5770

I have a sidecase fan, a front panel fan (if i may call it that), and a fan for the back of the case. They're 120mm's, I believe. My system is a year (give or take a few months) old, and I haven't cleaned it in awhile, which is most likely a cause for the loud noise.

This case is awfully crammed I must say. It is small in size and the wires are everywhere. I'd like to upgrade, I guess so it can stay cooler. I mean, if I were to move onto liquid cooling for any reason, this case wouldn't be big enough.

When cleaning the system you say, what areas would I exactly focus on? I have the compressed air can which I used to clean some fans out the last time I opened up my tower.

Thanks!

Aastii

VIP Member
Heatsinks, specifically your CPU and your video card.

I would clean them thoroughly though and also reapply thermal paste, not just blow them through.

Your main problem is, I assume you are using the stock fans that came with the case, the fans you are using. If you got some half decent ones, rather than the ones in the case which are made on the cheap, so move little air and are noisy, that would straight away reduce the noise by a fair amount.

The other thing it could, and probably is, is your GPU fan. You can turn this down using MSI afterburner, however do not let it get too hot when you manually set the fan speed. Monitor it for a while first to make sure it isn't going over ~90 degrees

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburnerSetup210.zip

Getting a new case would improve temperatures, thus making the fans slower, so quieter, but would, obviously, be more expensive than getting just fans. If you were to get a case, I would recommend:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119215

If you are to get just fans, your current case only takes 80mm fans, with 1 120mm on the back (I think and am almost certain):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185057

I would still reapply the thermal paste though if you haven't done so at all:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...20&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-186-020-_-Product

Dervie

First off, thank you so much for your response, it is appreciated!
Also, for the case you suggested, are there any significant differences from these?:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239&Tpk=LanCool PC-K62

I can certainly afford them, but if your case isn't as different, then I'll go down the affordable route.

Also, does a stock CPU already have thermal paste on it, or would I have to apply it first? I mean, did it already have a layer of thermal paste at first?

Lastly, I plan on buying a Liquid Cooling set just due to the fact that my GPU and overall case seems to be working constantly (due to the fact I usually leave my PC on all day).

Aastii

VIP Member
The cases aren't much different at all, nothing significant at least.

The CPU heatsink does have thermal paste on, however every time you take the heatsink off you should reapply, because the old stuff is just that, old, so not in its prime and also you will incorporate air bubbles, which makes the entire process of having thermal paste on in the first place pointless.

You want to take the heatsink off, wipe off the old stuff with a clean, dry cloth, or toilet/kitchen paper. Do this until no more visibly comes off on the cloth. If you also have isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) , use that, it will come off easier and will get it much cleaner.

Once that is done, small blob of thermal paste in the centre of the CPU and then just drop the heatsink right on there, no need to spread it.

Finally, liquid cooling is a bit pointless, you can get the same performance out of air cooling whilst keeping it silent. In my case I've got only air cooling - 1 fan on the CPU, 1 on the GPU, 3 case fans, 1 in the PSU, and it is silent. You don't need water cooling to have it quiet.

Once you have a new case, the better airflow will make it all much cooler, and, as I said earlier, the fans will spin much slower then anyway. You can then make it even quiet by dropping the stock HSF for your CPU and getting:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181012

What power supply do you have?

Aastii

VIP Member
That shouldn't be causing any noise issues, it is going to be down to stock HSF, high internal temperatures making your fans run harder and low quality fans

Dervie

I guess I'll take the Basic CM690 II and the HSF. Should I use the stock fans, or get new ones? Also, how often should I reapply thermal paste?

Aastii

VIP Member
I wouldn't reuse the old fans if they are loud. the case will come with its own, which are, from experience using the same case in the past, fairly quiet.

Reapply thermal paste when the chip starts getting a bit toasty compared to the usual temperatures, just check every couple of weeks, or every 6 months. You can check the temperatures using HWMonitor, which you can download from here:

ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.17-setup.exe

Dervie

I appreciate your prompt responses! Any idea on the average temperature my GPU and CPU should be idle, and when they're being used? When should I worry?

This is what it states now:
http://i52.tinypic.com/dvk7j7.png

It's not idle, I'm actually running two game clients so it my GPU may be running a bit high. Though, the game isn't really extensive in resources.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Your 5770 isn't too bad, that is pretty normal, but the CPU, for just running games that is fairly high