Questions about creating a simple webpage and payment system

kenny1999

Hi, let me be clear and straightforward. I am planning to start a simple online store and to

create a simple webpage with credit card payment process. (My client can pay with credit card and automatic the process)

My question is

1. Do I have to talk to the bank for that? Is it difficult to apply such service? What is usually the percentage of service charge the credit card company will charge for each transaction? Will they charge too much?

2. I want my page to have the domain dot com or dot org something like that. I am confused with the price and the terms, they are sometimes ''domains'' or ''hosting''.. I am confused.

Thank you!

Agent Smith

Sounds like you don't know much about websites at all which you need to learn about. I would also consider PayPal as the escrow service. They give you the code snippet to use on your site. That would be better otherwise if you try to process credit cards directly your gonna need a SSL certificate. I got mine at StartSSL. I highly recommend you go to webhostingtalk.com and ask there. Do you even have the software to create your webpages?

Also, for FTP I recommend WinSCP. It will ask if you drag and drop a file unlike Filezilla and has better features. Drag and drop a file accidentally in the wrong folder and you better hope you have a backup.

Since this more than likely will be HTML driven not PHP, you might want to Google how to harden a website. If your host has it, use Mod_security. Would be an option in your cPanel.

beers

Staff member
If you aren't familiar with the differences between 'domain' and 'hosting', you will probably rely on a lot of third party services to build your site, such as PayPal referenced above.

2. I want my page to have the domain dot com or dot org something like that. I am confused with the price and the terms, they are sometimes ''domains'' or ''hosting''.. I am confused.

A domain is the name itself. Hosting provides you a web server to place your page on. If you just buy a domain itself you need to provide your own hosting.

kenny1999

Hi All above, thanks for the help. Let me be more clear about what I am looking for.

1. I don't have much time and cost to learn to create a webpage/website. In fact, I only need a webpage with simple design. Nothing fancy. Information-oriented. I have a bit HTML knowledge. Yes, the only difficulty for me could be a simple shopping cart and how to pay through credit card.

2. What is approximately the percentage of service charge for my customer to pay through Paypal. As far as I know, Paypal is draining blood....

3. What is the reasonable price for a DOT COM domain and a hosting ? Any recommendation on agents that are reliable to buy those? Do they charge monthly or annually?

4. I am neither in Europe nor a European citizen. Could I have a domain ending with DE (Dutch) or CO.UK (England) ....??

Thank you all.

Agent Smith

Check out stable host. If you go to webhosting.com and look for stablehost they have a coupon which will buy you one domain for something in the neighborhood of a buck and change if I can remember. I wouldn't use your host to issue you a domain name though. I went to namesilo and transferred my domain. But you can just go to Namesilo, create a domain and tell the host like stable host that you already have a domain. Then setup the CNAME A records MX entry, etc. You also should check out Cloudflare or some other reverse proxy. But Cloudflare for basic service protection is free. Cloudflare isn't the best, but I use it since I'm not wanting to pay for something for my two websites that don't get much traffic.

www.namesilo.com

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=874754

Oh! Yeah, you can use a .co.uk if you wanted.

PS. I would use Namesilo's privacy feature so that your name and address are private in the whois records.

C4C

I use bigcartel... Best online shop in my opinion, though it does cost money for more than 3 items..

Agent Smith

Guy on another forum I'm a member of made this website. Most of these are for PHP orientated websites, but Ninja Firewall might be your ticket in Harding your site. https://websectools.com/

I should mention that most hosts that offer cPanel will have something called Softaculous which will allow you to install a number of different website apps, like WordPress, phpBB, FluxBB, etc. There is even e-commerce apps. The whole list is here. http://www.softaculous.com/software/

Punk

Staff member
As far as simple website goes, have a look at Wordpress, they're very easy to set up and their design is very cool. And it's totally free.

Agent Smith

If you use WordPress you need to install a number of spam/security plugins. I have a Wordpress blog and run no less than 7 of those to block spam and hack attemps. I also run a script to block XSS injection, etc. Wordpress is a fine choice, but know it seems to be the target of hacks. I had a link from Securi about how to check your Wordpress site for this one hack in the wild, but now I can't find it.

Punk

Staff member
If you use WordPress you need to install a number of spam/security plugins. I have a Wordpress blog and run no less than 7 of those to block spam and hack attemps. I also run a script to block XSS injection, etc. Wordpress is a fine choice, but know it seems to be the target of hacks. I had a link from Securi about how to check your Wordpress site for this one hack in the wild, but now I can't find it.

I wouldn't take your advise, you have the worst website welcome page and it's a hassle to finally get to your index if you're from some country. No doubt why it doesn't attract people. I'm all for security, but let's not be paranoid.

Agent Smith

A) I don't have a welcome page.

B) I had blocked France in CloudFlare. That's why you had to enter a captcha.

C) I dare you to hack my site.

D) My information is very relevant to the discussion at hand.

I just love how this blow hard website censors my domain. I don't host malware or any thing FFS!

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk

Staff member
A) A welcome page, or an index is the first page you get to when you enter a website. Not having a welcoming page is one of the reason why no one goes on your site.

B)Blocking France, because French are known hackers? :/ Anyway that wasn't my point, you don't need to block countries, just a good spam addon.

C) Your site is censored. And I couldn't care less about hacking your site. But I hope that wasn't your point, it's good that your website is unhackable, but it is also unappealing. Unless you made your website for only yourself to see?

D) Yes it is, never said it wasn't. What I said is that you are too extreme about this.

Agent Smith

A welcome page, or an index is the first page you get to when you enter a website. Not having a welcoming page is one of the reason why no one goes on your site.

You never seen my access log. How the hell do you know I don't have traffic? I get traffic all the time! In fact one post about how to change the default team speak server ports is very popular and just recently got a thnaks out of the thousands who viewed it.

You don't need a damn "welcome page" for a blog.

I run Wordpress and phpBB.

Punk

Staff member
No I don't, but I do see if there is any user activity on your forum/website.

I don't think you're getting what I meant by welcome page. The FIRST page you get to when entering your website is a capcha verificator. Very unappealing, and not welcoming. That's what I was referring to when saying not to follow your advise. Yes it is better security wise, but damn bad for any traffic/activity.

Agent Smith

Once again! That captcha you got was from CloudFlare! Cloud-flare...

I allowed France again after a threat was eliminated.

I don't think you are visiting my site. I hardly ever see France. Proxies and VPNs are hit and miss due to the script I run.

Punk

Staff member
I actually did less than a moth ago (could be a month though) and I landed on captcha. Again, what threat???

beers

Staff member
Once again! That captcha you got was from CloudFlare! Cloud-flare...
It's kind of irrelevant when it's still something you explicitly set up yourself.

Getting pretty off topic,
kenny, you can get whatever domain you want that is available. You'll have to look around for hosting and rates but reasonable packages can be had for $5/mo

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All above, thanks for the help. Let me be more clear about what I am looking for.

1. I don't have much time and cost to learn to create a webpage/website. In fact, I only need a webpage with simple design. Nothing fancy. Information-oriented. I have a bit HTML knowledge. Yes, the only difficulty for me could be a simple shopping cart and how to pay through credit card.

2. What is approximately the percentage of service charge for my customer to pay through Paypal. As far as I know, Paypal is draining blood....

3. What is the reasonable price for a DOT COM domain and a hosting ? Any recommendation on agents that are reliable to buy those? Do they charge monthly or annually?

4. I am neither in Europe nor a European citizen. Could I have a domain ending with DE (Dutch) or CO.UK (England) ....??

Thank you all.
1. While WordPress is an option, depending on your requirements for the site you should also look at using a standard html template if your needs are simple. WordPress is something that needs to be constantly updated, and if you don't have much time to allocate to doing that, you are better off not using it.
2. I am not sure the exact charges for PayPal, but it doesn't really matter, you will more than likely have to use them. If your site is not an established name, nobody will give you their credit card details direct and the cost of setting up the credit card facility would be more than using PayPal. And finding a cheaper solution than PayPal. Is also pointless, because most people will not be using that solution.
3. A. Com domain is around US$15 dollars a year, hosting around $10 to $15 a month, you can get a lot cheaper.
4. I would go for either a dot com domain, or the regional domain Of the country you are living in and offering your services to. I don't see the point of using am English or German domain name if you are not specifically targeting those countries.