WIndows 10 Questions about transferring from one computer to another

ssal

I have a HP8470p with a 3rd Gen i7-3720QM which I am very happy with. But this laptop is aged. I really like the performance/price value of this processor. I have been looking in the used market for a replacement in the event that mine RIP. And there are plenty of Lenova IBM and Dell having the exact CPU.

I think the HDD, SSD and DDR3 are all transferrable.

I had read somewhere saying that if I do a re-install on a system containing Windows 10, it would automatically read the product key from the internal memory so I don't even need to have the product key on hand. Actually I have done a re-install on another laptop and it didn’t ask for the product key.

Do you think I can do a reinstall on the new laptop if I transfer the boot drive from the HP?

I actually have the product key of the HP.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You won't be able to use the activation key from the HP to another computer. When you reinstall 10 on a machine that already had 10 on it, it will take the previous key and activate it just fine.

ssal

You won't be able to use the activation key from the HP to another computer. When you reinstall 10 on a machine that already had 10 on it, it will take the previous key and activate it just fine.
So, if I transfer the SSD (with the OS) from the HP to the Dell and do a reinstall, it will read the product key from the SSD?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, The previous activation for the new pc that you will be using was stored on MS servers. This is the reason why activation keys are really no longer needed after initial install. They are saved on MS servers for reactivation later. It's basically a hardware string that when its get reinstalled and the hardware matches, then its get reactivated. Usually a different motherboard will cause the activation to not work. it may seem complicated but its not.

ssal

No, The previous activation for the new pc that you will be using was stored on MS servers. This is the reason why activation keys are really no longer needed after initial install. They are saved on MS servers for reactivation later. It's basically a hardware string that when its get reinstalled and the hardware matches, then its get reactivated. Usually a different motherboard will cause the activation to not work. it may seem complicated but its not.
That means, I have to buy the new (used) laptop with Windows 10 installed?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the new/used laptop already had 10 on it. it will reactivate just fine using the original activation. You will not be able to just throw your SSD into the new/used machine and go about your business. It will detect different hardware and want to be reactivated. Does the system you are wanting to get already have 10 installed?

Darren

Staff member
Just try whatever you're wanting to do and it'll likely Activate once it gets hooked up to the internet. They're not picky anymore.