Questions on laptop

Flash06

I have been looking to buy a laptop for a month or two and it has come time to actually buy one in the next two weeks after I graduate. Let me start off by saying I do not know much at all about computers but do have some basic knowledge. What I am looking for is just to see if the laptop I am looking at will suit my needs.

First what I will use it for:
Photos
Music
School Work
Videos.

Really I want to do all my school work and everything else other then games. I do not play computer games at all so getting a laptop for that is not needed. I have around 10 gigs of music that I will put on it.

My Price range is around $800 but if I need to I will spend up to $1000.

So far the specs on the computer I looked at are
A Dell Ispiron Core Duo Processor 2MB Cache
Windows XP
512 Shared Single Channel DDr2
80 GIG 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Dell WIreless 1390 802 11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
My Battery is
53 WHr 6-Cell lithium Ion Primary Battery
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

I have tried to do get some information by myself but I have found I just do not know enough.

My specific questions are
Is the 512 MB ram enough?
Is the 80 GiG hard drive overkill for what I want to do? Should I go for a 60?
I need to connect both wirelessly in school and via phone line at home will this computer suit both needs well?
Anything you would recomend? Either that I should get or that I dont need.

I am pretty set on a dell but if there is something that would be a lot better please let me know.

The computer online is http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&fb=1&l=en&oc=E1505S2&s=dhs

I know it is a lot but if someone can help me out with this it would be greatly apprieciated. Thank you in advance.

celsdogg

ok, your not doing anything too intensive, and you are getting a dual core cpu, so your pretty much ok. in fact, everything that you want to do could be done with a computer thats a little older.

512 is good, but a gig wont hurt. if you are interested in using the laptop for the next few years with ease, then get 1024, but you can get by with 512.

i would go with the 80GB hdd, more storage wont hurt. if the laptop has a modem then you can dialup, and this laptop comes with a choice of three wireless options, any of which would work well for you.

as for anything else, i do see that you put videos down. do you mean watch videos or edit videos? if watching, then this is fine, if editiing you will want to go a completly different route. . .

Flash06

Just watching and downloading not editing videos. Thanks a lot for your help I might as well go for the 1 gig ram if it helps I am already spending $800 so another $75 wont hurt too much. Again thanks for the help.