Quick Graphics Card Questions

wungoodshu

My specs for my desktop computer are listed below in my signature. I was told (By many people on here actually) that the 8600 GT is not as good as other graphics cards but has more features like DX10. So I got the 8600 GT. My question is, with the way my hardware is now, if I were to get a second 8600 GT and use SLI, would I realize a substantial upgrade to the point where it's worth spending the money on the second card?

Also, are all laptop graphics cards on-board cards or can one buy graphics cards for laptops just like a normal desktop? If so, what are some laptop Graphics card suggestions?

lion149

The 8600gt is a solid card but nothing insane, you would see a substantial increase in performance if you ran SLI. Is it worth it? In my personal opinion unless you can pick one up cheap via ebay etc no. I would sell the card and upgrade.

Now on to your laptop, nope sorry all the video is already integrated. You cannot purchase a graphics card for your laptop. You are S.O.L. ha

i hope this helped...best of luck!

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
^ Some laptops, especially high-end gaming laptops and barebones, allow you to throw in an actual graphics card, granted the card has to be a "mobile version" (i.e.designed for a laptop) which can be hard to find and you don't have much to choose from, plus they can be a little pricey for the performance they offer, but this is possible.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
The answer to your question is no, if you get another card, you most likely won't get even 150% of your current performance. Best thing to do is just upgrading to a newer card. The 8800GT is a great card for the money, would be even better than a pair of 8600GT's in SLI ;)

Last edited: