Quick Help please

GimpsGTP

Im buying the rest of my components tonight so i can put my comp together. but have a few ?'s some of the parts im buying are OEM and dont come with the required cords so i need to know what i need to buy to hook them up, do things like floppy drives, cd rom drives,dvd burners, all just use IDE cables? about how long do you think they need to be?
Thanks
Nick

weixifan

Yes. CDROMs and ATA hard disks all require the standard IDE cables. Floppy drives require a slightly different IDE cable--a floppy IDE cable. (The round ones are much less of a physical exercise to plug in, but the ribbon ones work also.) SATA hard disks are different; they require SATA cables--also watch for the orientation (90, 180, 270 degrees) of the cable plug, as that and your motherboard structure decides the required degree of finger flexibility :D. As for the length, it depends on how tall your tower is, but generally not very long at all. Just be aware that the IDE cable plugs into your motherboard--it has to get there from your hard disk/CD-ROM, which is not far away at all for most PCs.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im buying the rest of my components tonight so I can put my comp together. but have a few ?'s some of the parts im buying are OEM and dont come with the required cords so I need to know what I need to buy to hook them up, do things like floppy drives, cd rom drives,dvd burners, all just use IDE cables? about how long do you think they need to be?
1. IDE cables are a whopping $2-$5 so you wont have to panic too much
2. As for length thats up to you ... if you want to do cable origami than get the long cables, otherwise get short ones or them cursed round ones