Quick Help?

Des_Zac

I'm building a computer out of some old parts my woodshop teacher gave me, and I wanted to know if anyone can help me. I have everything connected correctly and all, everything's in place, and *facepalm* I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TURN IT ON! I don't have the on-off button and don't know where the port is to use a phillips. The mother board is a Dell (I think this is how you can tell which one it is) DP/N MX-03F546-12405-178-1169

Can anyone help me?

-Zach

rawcomputers

most dell's use a proprietary connection for the case switches, cant just short the pins with a screw driver

i would use another motherboard, or rip the switch out of another similar dell

Iceyn1pples

cant just short the pins with a screw driver

i would use another motherboard, or rip the switch out of another similar dell

WRONG!!!

whether its proprietary or not, you can still use a screw driver to turn it on, its just a matter of figuring out which 2 pins would do that. IF you still have the old dell case, look to see which color cables are coming from the power button, follow it to the plug, and simply short the corresponding pins on the mobo.

I did a quick google search on the motherboard you listed, but it only brought up this thread... is that any other numbers that can be used to determine the motherboard?

Rant - Rawcomputers is a total RIP OFF. Why would you sell your customer 2 5850s instead of say...a 6950 for less money than the 2 cards??

And what is the point of 30gb SSD?? theres not enough room to install any games - if you're gonna add an SSD, at least put in a 60gb vertex 2 or 3 so the user can install the games that he/she is currently playing so load times are reduced.

You claim gaming, yet you rack up the system price by adding MS Office Pro, put that money towards better hardware!!!

The computers you have listed are better geared towards home theatre PCs, because the lack the power for TRUE GAMING.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I'm building a computer out of some old parts my woodshop teacher gave me, and I wanted to know if anyone can help me. I have everything connected correctly and all, everything's in place, and *facepalm* I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TURN IT ON! I don't have the on-off button and don't know where the port is to use a phillips. The mother board is a Dell (I think this is how you can tell which one it is) DP/N MX-03F546-12405-178-1169

Can anyone help me?

-Zach

Need another part number, that one comes up with nothing. Do you know the Dell model it came out of?

cant just short the pins with a screw driver

dell

Yes you can, its just figuring out which two pins it is.

rawcomputers

If you'd ever worked on a dell, you'd know the connector plugs into a socket on the board much of the time, and the pins to short out are covered by plastic. Sure they can be shorted, but good like reaching them with a screwdriver.

Now, what does my website have to do with the op's question? I don't come on hhere to try and sell, yet you feel the need to pick apart my old posts. Site hasn't been updated in some time, for personal reasons. About the same amount of time since I've posted here.

Anyways, to settle things obviously we don't still use 5xxx ati cards ir 30gb ssd's. These parts are bargain shelf now.

I'd invite you to come look at our new offerings in the next week or two, but I don't really want a dork like you on our site or buying our things.

WRONG!!!

whether its proprietary or not, you can still use a screw driver to turn it on, its just a matter of figuring out which 2 pins would do that. IF you still have the old dell case, look to see which color cables are coming from the power button, follow it to the plug, and simply short the corresponding pins on the mobo.

I did a quick google search on the motherboard you listed, but it only brought up this thread... is that any other numbers that can be used to determine the motherboard?

Rant - Rawcomputers is a total RIP OFF. Why would you sell your customer 2 5850s instead of say...a 6950 for less money than the 2 cards??

And what is the point of 30gb SSD?? theres not enough room to install any games - if you're gonna add an SSD, at least put in a 60gb vertex 2 or 3 so the user can install the games that he/she is currently playing so load times are reduced.

You claim gaming, yet you rack up the system price by adding MS Office Pro, put that money towards better hardware!!!

The computers you have listed are better geared towards home theatre PCs, because the lack the power for TRUE GAMING.

Des_Zac

Sorry, I've been on vacation for a week but I'm back now... The only other info I can give you really is that it's a 2000 Dell motherboard, DP/N MX-03F546-12405-178-1169 is on a sticker with something that looks similar to a long barcode thingy, and another sticker like it but smaller says Rev A02 If I knew where to look on the mother board I could probably tell you more but thats all I know really.

Hope this helps,

-Zach

Des_Zac

Another thing, is there some word or abrv that is near the port that could show what I'm looking for, or should I try to upload a picture of the motherboard?

FreddyBoy

I think I've got the same mother board, but my label has DP/N MX-03F546-12405-167-1811. I don't know anything about it, but I'm watching this thread to find out any info about it. Someone gave me a tower with that in it. I think everything works except the Maxtor 60GB hard drive and I'm debating wheter or not to see if I can get it running. It appears to only have a half a gig of RAM and I know that wont do, so I'd like to find out more about the board so as to know how much RAM it can take.

Des_Zac

You do realized this thread is almost 4 months old right? I trashed it because it turned out it was broken :D