Quick networking question.

ETSA

I have 2 computers, I want to get a gig or 2 worth og mp3's from one to the other. I have windows home and windows xp on the other, they are both hooked up to the internet through a router.

What is the easiest way to transfer the data, without having to put all of them onto a disk and do it that way, is it possible to somehow network them or somehow share a folder so i can just copy them to my computer from the other.

Thanks in advance.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Yup yup, your network would be the best idea. All you have to do is ensure that both the PC's are in the same "workgroup" as each other. Restart both PC's and enable file sharing (or just enable sharing on your Music folder). Then pop off to the other PC, browse to My Network Places, wait about 30 seconds for it to update itself and you should see the shared Music folder from the other PC, open it up and copy/paste all of the files into your own PC.

It will take a while though, there is no quicker way to transferr that much data, the network is your best bet.

dragon

ETSA

How do I go about this workgroup thing. I have had training in networking, meaning it was bashed in my head over a week's time. So please refresh me. :rolleyes:

I have tried to setup a home network and ran all the stuff the wizard told me too and I can't find it or it seems I am not allowed access, I am a little confused.

Last edited:

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
The workgroup name should have been in one of the steps in the wizard, but if it wasnt, its in Control Panel - System - Comptuer Name... take a look in there

Rambo

How do I go about this workgroup thing. I have had training in networking, meaning it was bashed in my head over a week's time. So please refresh me. :rolleyes:

I have tried to setup a home network and ran all the stuff the wizard told me too and I can't find it or it seems I am not allowed access, I am a little confused.

Windows key + Pause/Break (takes you into system properties), click on the Computer Name tab, and you can change your workgroup from there :)

EDIT:

Ooops, sorry dragon, didn't see you posted a reply... :eek:

dark_legacy2006

thats a cool shortcut to get into properties, if you cant get the network to work you can always get this special usb cord that allows you to tranfer data from one comp to another

Crypto

Try running the network wizard on BOTH PC's and use the same workgroup name when prompted. The Network wizard is located in the control panel "Network Setup Wizard"

Crypto

What exactly is happening, Can you see the any of the shared files from the other PC? When you open Network places can you see your workgroup that was created? Maybe it would be easiest if you just burn them to two CDs, three if its 1600MB.

Motoxrdude

Try this, idk, sometimes it works for me
Start>>My Network Places>>View Workgroup Computers, and click on one of the computers. If it gives you an error message paste it hear.

ETSA

I don;t see anything but when i try to set it up from my network screen it says I may not have access and to contact systema dministrator, and these are home computers connected with a router connected to the internet...

Emperor_nero

Ok let’s start all over at the beginning; I know this is long but bare with me.

1. Get 2 RJ45 cords and a router.
2. Plug the RJ45 cords into the back of the computers and the router.
3. Go to start>control panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network setup wizard. (if in classic mode just go to start>control panel >Network setup wizard)
4. Then follow the onscreen instructions and choose the options highlight in the images.

5. Then right click on the folder with your music and go to sharing and click on “share this folder”.
6. Restart the computer.
7. Plug the disk or jump drive into the 2nd computer and run the wizard.

Did I miss anything? Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong about anything.

Best of luck :)

------Joshua

chrisalviola

I have 2 computers, I want to get a gig or 2 worth og mp3's from one to the other. I have windows home and windows xp on the other, they are both hooked up to the internet through a router.

What is the easiest way to transfer the data, without having to put all of them onto a disk and do it that way, is it possible to somehow network them or somehow share a folder so i can just copy them to my computer from the other.

Thanks in advance.
to copy files from any computer on the network.
1. IP address(unique)
2. COmputer Name(unique for same workgroup)
3. share the source folder

ETSA

Thanks Nero I think I know my problem. I will try that shortly and post my results.