Quick question on installation

cheburns

I am putting my zalman 9500 on the processor in my sig and currently it has the amd stock heatsink/fan on it. When I put that on I didn't use thermal paste or anything I just stuck it one and latched it down. I'm going to take it off and how hard do I have to pull? because I gave it a decent little tug and it wasn't even thinking about coming off... maybe I'm overworried here just about yanking on something attached to my processor... I'm just looking for piece of mind to give it a good pull which I assume will get it off and NOT hurt my processor in any way.

Thanks guys

PC eye

banned
Generally you would use a thin tipped flathead screwdriver to pry the retaining clip off on one side. That always seemed the best there since you simply give the driver a godd twist to see that done. You just have to be careful not to slip and push that into the board there.

For a Socket 939 model cpu you use the smaller of the two metal retainers that come with the 9500 and secure that down with the small screws after applying the thermal paste you intend to use. For an AM2 model the longer retainer has a small piece that slips through one end of that for simply pressing that down inplace affter securing the opposite end as you lower that side of the cooler first.

cheburns

ok another question... i unplugged my stock heatsink and its 4 pin the 9500 is 3 pin.... what can I do about that? can i just plug it into one of the case fan power slots on the mobo?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Yeah just give it a twist and it will pop off, my mobo has a 4pin connecter and i have the 9500 (3pin) just plug it in on the 3pins with the snap thingy over them and the 4th one just wont be used..

PC eye

banned
The 9700 is the same with a 3pin plug that slips down into place leaving one unused. So far the new build is seeing grest results after needing to bend the fan forward since it was pushed back into the copper ribs during shipping apparently. The fan couldn't move and initially the board was reading wild temps until the reason for that was discoverd. Make sure the fan spins freely with your finger and is seen spinning just a little bit leaning forward towards the board at a slight angle in case you find it recessed.