Quick Question: What should be i7 6700K Stock Voltage?

So I have an i7 6700K running stock, paired with a Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 Motherboard. I just did a fresh Install of Windows and replaced the Thermal paste but I noticed my Vcore Voltage (Stock) on HWMonitor is Maxing at 1.272v I think that's why my Temperatures are a bit high from just Gaming reaching 73-74c.

Surprisingly enough after Undervolting Vcore Voltage to a negative offset of -0.65v to the Vcore and manually setting my Vcore to Max at 1.200V my temperatures reached a Max of 73c from RealBench in 30 minutes and Maxed at 65c from just regular gaming. This is Perfect! but problem is to achieve this I had to do some heavy undervolting.

There is a known issue with this Board and the Voltages, but there is a fix for that as well in one of the last BIOS updates but mine still sits at 1.272v Max sometimes from just gaming. I don't know how to Overclock but I've read that other people actually manage to pull 4.4Ghz from about 1.272, am I correct? so this is too high for stock and something is not working right.

Would like to know from other 6700K users what's your default/stock Vcore Voltage?

Many thanks.
EpicSurvivor

beers

Staff member
Default for that is 1.2, although the turbo boost feature will also bump the voltage. 73-74c is fine for those.

Intel_man

VIP Member
There is nothing wrong with undervolting. If your CPU can run the same frequency at a lower voltage, it is a good thing.

There is nothing wrong with undervolting. If your CPU can run the same frequency at a lower voltage, it is a good thing.
Okay awesome.
I just did a simple manual overclock. I am getting 4.4Ghz stable on 1.272v first time Overclocking. I get about 78-79c. On air using Cryorig M9i.

4.5Ghz on the same voltage doesnt cause BSOD but RealBench determines system instability after 18 minutes. Aida64 also determined instability but not sure after how long, it was midnight I was half asleep and just turned the computer off without checking.

Not sure if this has anything to do with XMP. After the hurricane Flaurence passes I'll run the 4.5Ghz overclock with XMP disabled.

Any tips or suggestions?

It's crazy I get same temperature under stress test with stock or with 4.4Ghz might as well overclock.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT/NOTE: the voltage is stock I have not changed anything on the voltage.

Intel_man

VIP Member
XMP overclocks your memory to the rated speed it was listed out of the box. Unless it's not pulling the right values, disabling XMP might not give you additional headroom or stability.

XMP overclocks your memory to the rated speed it was listed out of the box. Unless it's not pulling the right values, disabling XMP might not give you additional headroom or stability.
I figured so, I just heard others say that sometimes disabling this prevents stability issues but I agree with you on this as well.