quick question...

as4525

Hi, to start of sorry if these are stupid questions. Im not too clued up on laptops as such, I recently got an old laptop, it is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE 4030CDS.

Allthough its old its all i could afford it was cheap, its currently running windows XP,

Im still waiting for the item in the post,

What I wanted to know is....

1. Will I be able to use a usb wireless adaptor to connect to the internet?(i have a router etc allready)

2. Ive been told I can upgrade to RAM to make it run faster, it currently has 128mb but i have 2GB, is it just a case of swapping it over ?

Many thanks in advance,

Alex.

Troncoso

VIP Member
1. It very well might have a NIC in it already (unless you know that it doesn't) then yes you can use your adapter (if it's external)

2. As long as you have the same type of RAM then you can upgrade. You are going to need more than likely DDR pc 2100 or pc 2700.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, to start of sorry if these are stupid questions. Im not too clued up on laptops as such, I recently got an old laptop, it is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE 4030CDS.

Allthough its old its all i could afford it was cheap, its currently running windows XP,

Im still waiting for the item in the post,

What I wanted to know is....

1. Will I be able to use a usb wireless adaptor to connect to the internet?(i have a router etc allready)

2. Ive been told I can upgrade to RAM to make it run faster, it currently has 128mb but i have 2GB, is it just a case of swapping it over ?

Many thanks in advance,

Alex.

Your best bet is to turn around and sell it and get something more up to date. The max memory for that laptop is only 192mb as mentioned above. It came preinstalled with either windows 98 or 95 and XP will not run effectively on 192mb of memory. It will be so slow. You will need at least 1-2 gb of memory to run xp efficiently.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Your best bet is to turn around and sell it and get something more up to date. The max memory for that laptop is only 192mb as mentioned above. It came preinstalled with either windows 98 or 95 and XP will not run effectively on 192mb of memory. It will be so slow. You will need at least 1-2 gb of memory to run xp efficiently.

I agree with johnb. Even if you got it for free, you won't enjoy it. Sell it for $100 if you can and get something better. something with at least 1gb of ram

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with johnb. Even if you got it for free, you won't enjoy it. Sell it for $100 if you can and get something better. something with at least 1gb of ram

You couldn't sell that for any more than $25 with it being that old and useless. Windows 98 would have to be put back on it.