Quick RAM Question?

ObsessedOne

I'm a bit of a computer noob and I was wondering if you could help me decide on which RAM upgrade to buy.

My computer is an 'HP Pavillion 540n'

Which is better
Corsair
or
Micron?

If you need any additional information just tell me. thanks :D

ObsessedOne

I don't "totally" care which brand is better just which one will work better or more reliably on my particular computer.

PC eye

banned
It depends on what type of DDR memory you plan to use as well. Are you staying with value ram or going to use it for gaming? Since that is an older HP model there can I assume value ram? Corsair value is also good memory to consider. Corsair and especially Kingston run great on Asus boards for a variety of applications.

ObsessedOne

Ok, after looking through it I just decided to go with the Corsair. I'm not on a gaming PC. Thanks for the help. I almost purchased an Elixir Brand earlier (which I don't trust now). I didn't find a compatible Kingston but this is a crap computer anyway. I love how RAM is dirt cheap these days. cheers:D

PC eye

banned
Corsair won't let you down since that is one of the top brands even for value ram. Eventually you upgrade to a newer system even a custom build and then have all kinds of options for memory and other hardwares.

A pair of Kingston Value Ram DDR400 dimms works great on the Asus 939 model here. That replaced a pair of Corsair xms series 512mb dimms and smiles. On the next build? 4gb of Corsair, OCZ, Kingston? You never know. :p

ObsessedOne

That statement does not really make any sense, why would a lower quality stick of ram work better?

your right!:eek:
I was assuming that it might be possible that that particular micron might have an advantage over that particular corsair on my particular pc. Although I have since been proven wrong.:eek:

PC eye

banned
The type of memory used on a particular system and for what application will have the determining factor for the most part. Mpst gamers and certainly OCers will go with performance not value ram while someone with an average or budget build especially prebuilt will see value ram there for things like occasional gaming, checking the mail, word processing and desktop appls, and of course some multimedia maybe added to that.

For choosing a brand of memory you then have to compare the quality there. Names like OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, Mushkin, and a more recent name Patriot are the more commonly top shelf brands there. For the HP there you would go with the most compatible and reliable value ram since you probably won't be pushing the case there. Corsair made the list above.

ObsessedOne

Oh my God have I been in the dark for the past 6 years! For my birthday I got a new back-lit keyboard, speakers with bass, and the RAM I ordered a week ago. I switched everything out and replaced the crappy bulky white screen with a new Dell flat-screen moniter. My computer went from having 256Mb of Ram to 768Mb! My computer is 100x better than before! Thanks for your help!

PC eye

banned
After spending on two 512s to see a 1gb total the better move would be saving for a new build and be far better off. For many running a newer case with Vista and what is to follow twice as much is preferred.