Quick rather stupid sounding question.

SketchSlayer

Just took notice to the fact case fans have scew holes both sides, would there be any adverse effect to mounting a fan on a fan? there seems to be enough of a gap for both to spin freely when mounted on each other no?

Told ya the question would sound stupid... or possibly insane.

tylerjrb

No it's very possible. as long as they are mounted push/pull so air goes into one fan and out of the other and not acting against each other. Don't see why you would want too. The most who do this use it for cooling radiators as it increases static pressure .

SketchSlayer

In your case it's kind of a moot point.

Yes and also rather a hassel to do but it was more about knowing that doing it would work

And my knowledge of physics n stuff is kinda off so would push pull be both facing the same way or both facing each other or away from each other?

FirstBuild

Yes and also rather a hassel to do but it was more about knowing that doing it would work

And my knowledge of physics n stuff is kinda off so would push pull be both facing the same way or both facing each other or away from each other?
Both the same way my man! Much more efficient to have them both pulling air in the same direction than pushing and pulling at each other. :)

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
In your case it's kind of a moot point.

c518ac7bbec3b5061660cec0c38d785be26c0ff6de8b4d82835718bd9b199610.jpg

But yeah doing this is essentially pointless. As for what "Push Pull" means think of it in terms of a CPU cooler. One fan is pushing air across the cooler and the other fan on the opposite side is pulling air through the cooler. In tandem they move a lot of air across that cooler. However this is pointless really with two fans right next to each other as there's nothing between the two to slow the air down.

Air --> Fan (push) --> |||||||||| (cooler) --> Fan(pull) --> Air

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
You're going to create a bunch of turbulence as the two fans won't sync up correctly. It'll probably sounds quite loud and won't produce that great of results. Any reason you want to do this in the first place?

SketchSlayer

You're going to create a bunch of turbulence as the two fans won't sync up correctly. It'll probably sounds quite loud and won't produce that great of results. Any reason you want to do this in the first place?

Pointless now as I have a new case coming with 5 fans but I had a spare fan and was wondering if there was any use in chucking it in the only way it would fit.