Quiet Build

Lorkfudge

New Member
Hi, I'm trying to build/upgrade my computer and my current computer's gpu sounds like a chainsaw when it starts doing something difficult. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for a quiet and cheap build.

I have a motherboard, hard disk, fan, power supply, disk drive, processor, and maybe a fan (but it's also kind of loud).

I need a graphics card (and no sli, my motherboard only has 1 pci x16), case, some RAM, and possibly a new fan.

If anybody could help or recommend some parts for <$300 that would be great. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
If you really want to go silent, look into a water cooled system. Not only is it completely soundless, it makes air cooled systems obsolete via temperatures. You can make you yourself with some research and experimentation. It makes any system sick if you can do it.

good luck
 
there is no such thing as a completely soundless system. there will always be some sort of device to cool, and they all make noise, with the exception of passive heatsinks, which ironically still depend on fans to remove the heat
 
@ 1st poster: Yeah, water cooling looks cool but also expensive and dangerous if there are leaks, thanks though.

@ 2nd poster: Yeah, I know that I'll never get an entirely silent system unfortunately, but I simply don't want to wake up the whole floor with my graphics card and was wondering if anyone can offer a suggestion as to inexpensive RAM and a case and a quieter and fairly good graphics card and fan. I have a geforce 7800something by evga and it literally sounds like a chainsaw.

Edit: I guess the RAM isn't a problem because I could get it from newegg for $80 or so and have put memory in my computer before. But if anyone does have a suggestion for a case and a not-obnoxiously-loud graphics card that works well, I would really appreciate it. Thanks
 
Last edited:
Watercooling isn't that quiet..there are fans and a friggin' pump in the case. If you want to go quiet, you'll need passive heatsinks and quiet fans. Look into to Arctic Cooling S1/2 for the video card and the Scythe Infinity/Ninja for the CPU. As for fans, look into the Scythe Flex lineup along with the Noctua 120mm fans.

Also take a look at this handy tutorial i wrote up a while back :)
http://www.computerforum.com/929674-post1.html

If you really want to go silent, look into a water cooled system. Not only is it completely soundless, it makes air cooled systems obsolete via temperatures. You can make you yourself with some research and experimentation. It makes any system sick if you can do it.

good luck

There actually is, it just pretty expensive and needs a good chunk of modding. I've seen a system with custom heatpipes that leads to giant aluminum external heatsinks. Paired up with a fanless PSU and a SSHD and you've got yourself a truly silent system. ;)
 
i do believe asus makes a passivly cooled 9800gt, and i do believe there are aftermarket coolers that could be used on the 9800 gtx that are passive
 
If you really want to go silent, look into a water cooled system. Not only is it completely soundless, it makes air cooled systems obsolete via temperatures. You can make you yourself with some research and experimentation. It makes any system sick if you can do it.

good luck

wrong. water cooling systems make noise too. sometimes they make more noise, sometimes yes.
 
Nzxt Apollo or Hush cases-I have the Apollo-only way I know it's on is because of the lights-so much quieter than my emachine
 
if you want somthing quiet, the 8600GT is good, like 60 bucks on newegg, ram...umm i say 2gb, 50-60 bucks for good stuff(maybe youll find a rebate and get it cheaper) my case is like 50 bucks...fans cost like 10 bucks. so that $130. so in that case you could get 4GB ram and get its up to $250 and this is all USD
 
if you want somthing quiet, the 8600GT is good, like 60 bucks on newegg, ram...umm i say 2gb, 50-60 bucks for good stuff(maybe youll find a rebate and get it cheaper) my case is like 50 bucks...fans cost like 10 bucks. so that $130. so in that case you could get 4GB ram and get its up to $250 and this is all USD

Ehh dono what fans you're referring to, but I don't know of any quality quiet fans that are under $10, never mind multiple fans for under $10. And as for the graphics card, it doesn't matter if the stock cooling isn't quiet, any card can be made into a silent card with the addition of the AC S1 heatsink.
 
the only way to get completely silent is to have passive cooling with no fans, which is nearly impossible to do, if you look at the power supply, if you need more fans look for yate loon fans
 
Back
Top