Quieter Chipset Fan

Sell224

I am sorry for bombarding this forum so much lately.. I just don't have anyone else who can really give me advice on this subject.

I discovered that my chipset fan on my Asus A8n SLI deluxe mobo is making a LOT of high pitched noise. It might be the single loudest fan in the computer.

Now.. I am not too into overclocking and I now have a very cool case. I am wondering if the chipset fan is really necessary? Its so small! I'm guessing it is.. so in that case could you guys suggest something with less noise? I've heard about "passive coolers".. which I have no clue of what they are.

Thanks!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
its dying out, the bearings are worn away. you CAN replace it, but only the heatsink is really needed. the fan can cool down temps though..

just wondering how big is this fan

Sell224

its dying out, the bearings are worn away. you CAN replace it, but only the heatsink is really needed. the fan can cool down temps though..

just wondering how big is this fan

hmm you think its dying out?

here is a picture of my mobo: Its near hte bottom left

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/Sell224/DSC01094.jpg

The fan is small. maybe like 1 1/2 inches. So if I took off the fan what heatsinks are you talking about that is needed? Is the heatsink part of the chipset fan? Or can I just take off the fan and ditch it.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
well if the mobo came with the fan, you can MAYBE take it off, but if ya hot glued it to the heatsink then just take it off. you can usually just unscrew the fan offa the heatsink. in size i mean MM

Sell224

well if the mobo came with the fan, you can MAYBE take it off, but if ya hot glued it to the heatsink then just take it off. you can usually just unscrew the fan offa the heatsink. in size i mean MM

ok well I will try to take it off and see what happens. I'm not sure on the exact size.. I'll check later. (im not at home)

So you are saying the heatsink IS sufficient for the cooling of the chipset. My computer won't explode on me. Do you know how I can monitor my mobo's temps?

Chris Chan

If you're looking for a passive solution ( i certainly would, given I can't stand the noise signature of small fans) then I think the Zalman NB32 could fit with some possible modding to fit it under the video card. If not that, then a ThermalRight HR05SLI or a Jing Ting JTS0003

Sell224

I do have a very big video card cooler so any of those vertical heatsinks would not fit into my case.

Would it be very bad to just leave the stock heatsink in without a fan (what I am doing right now.. heh :eek: )?

It seems warm.. yes.. but I have very good cooling in my case.

and if not.. I think I'll buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109131

also.. on a completely random not.. I bought a case fan for my power supply and stuck it in there. Is this bad..? Heh.. seems to work fine and I've had my computer on for like 20 minutes and it hasnt exploded yet.

Last edited:

Sell224

Could someone please tell me once and for all.. What is the chipset and is it's temperature the same as the motherboard temperature? My temps are low and fine.. but I am not sure if I am monitoring the chipset temperature. When I touch the heatsink it is very hot (I am using stock heatsink w/o a fan right now).

Also would this fit an ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE Mobo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109131 Cuz it aint on the list of compatibility..

Sell224

the fan in the PSU : i wouldnt recommend it, where did ya put it? and where is the pwoer from?

its a case fan the exact same size and shape as the power fan. I lead the cord out of the back of the power supply then simply plugged it into the mobo in a case fan spot and plugged in the power.

So far its worked very well :). I don't see how it could possibly be different from a "power supply" fan other than where it plugs in.