R.I.P. Nigouki, 2003-2008

Nigouki

Yup, the doctors have confirmed it: Nigouki, my beloved desktop/workstation/server (specs listed in signature), has suffered from the dreaded SCIDS - Spontaneous Computer Instant Death Syndrome. She will be missed, but she had been sick for quite some time, and it was time for me to build a new computer anyway.

Not long after Nigouki was built, I started another computer project (to be dedicated to gaming), Sangouki, which I later aborted. I've decided that the core components (CPU, RAM, mobo) from that project, being rather similar to those of Nigouki, will be put to use in a "Nigouki Mark II", to inhabit the chassis of the old Nigouki. Sangouki himself will be outfitted with core components more worthy of a new computer, but retaining the same chassis, hard drives (dual 74GB Raptors), and optical drive.

My money is running a bit thinner than usual, I'm not planning on playing Crysis, and other games (Unreal Tourney 3, Bioshock, CoD4) aren't ultra-demanding from what I understand, so I figured that a 200mhz system bus and single GPU would be sufficient. Here's what I have so far...

Biostar A770 A2+ mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition
2GB of Kingston DDR2-800
Asus Radeon HD 4850
Seasonic 80+ certified 600W power supply w/modular cabling

Most of the above components were open-box or recertified.

Nigouki II will probably inherit Nigouki's AIW 9800 Pro, rather than the X800 XT that was originally slated for Sangouki, because I'd still like to capture some stuff from my TiVo and merge it with ripped DVD footage to create "re-censored" DVD-quality copies of certain Drawn Together episodes.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to playing UT3 at max settings for less than a $500 investment.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Biostar A770 A2+ mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition
2GB of Kingston DDR2-800
Asus Radeon HD 4850
Seasonic 80+ certified 600W power supply w/modular cabling

Might wanna go with Intel for gaming.

Nigouki

Meh. The Black Edition was substantially cheaper for its speed than a comparable Core 2, and like I said, I'm not planning to play Crysis.

EDIT: I actually could run Crysis at low enough settings - the recommended system requirements include "AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+", which is quite a bit slower than the 5400+.

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

I've ran crysis on my old x2 3800+, so the 5400+ will handle it just fine. It's more of a GPU instensive game then CPU intensive. That setup will handle UT3 just fine :p.