Racking My Brain here

bigrich0086

Friend says her laptop wont work. I said bring it by ill look it over.

Thing has been to hell and back. Her charger dead, used mine to power it on. Boots to Bios only.
Take hard drive out it fails tests but no explaniation why, i say sectors. SMART passes all checks.

Thinking hard drive was bad, i put in a new one, same thing Bios only. Now it has me thinking Motherboard Controller or something im missing is bad.

Took CMOS out, and internal battery for 10 mins, nothing changed. Video shows you what it does, and only shows BIOS type boot device, does not show hard drive there, but does LIST it under SATA config...

Im going to say, motherboard failure.

Video below to show you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i would actually take the drive out and test it in another system if you haven't already. Does the battery even charge? Hard to say what is wrong at this point. Could be something on the motherboard.

bigrich0086

Yes I took drive out and used my SATA controller on my computer and it popped up and was accessible, but out of 500gb only the 183gb windows parition was visible.
Ran the Tests and after 3 mins it failed and unable to repair.

Be honest I have no clue if anything is charging, as the lights on the laptop doent even light up, which makes me think motherboard is shot.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does the balance of the drive show up in disk management? If not, then you can assume drive is shot and something is definitely up with the motherboard.

bigrich0086

Nothing at all, she told me to keep it she bought spare one from me.

So now ill use this as a test to figure out. Great way to get more hands on.

But still say its moterboard, as his model has a 24gb ssd, that's dedicated to the ram.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So if the drive isn't important then try running kill disk or dban on the drive to see if it can restore the full size of the drive. Older hitachi drives have terrible reliability anyway.

bigrich0086

So if the drive isn't important then try running kill disk or dban on the drive to see if it can restore the full size of the drive. Older hitachi drives have terrible reliability anyway.
Will do, ill see what Dban does to it and maybe fix it. Wish I had a use for the 24gb ssd,