Radeon 6870 monitor help

astinkybumb

[Solved] Radeon 6870 multi monitor help

4 Monitors hook-up Solved!

Just got a single HD 6870 and am new to radeon (previously a Nvidia guy). Ok from what i have read these are the monitor set ups supported by a single radeon 6870.
My card is the xfx hd 6870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561
Supported monitor configs:
http://hothardware.com/articleimages/Item1682/ati_eyefinity_configs.png

I currently have 3 22" monitors and a 22" hdtv mounted on a 2x3 monitor rack in this set up:3 monitors on bottom and the hdtv directly above the center monitor exactly like the "3x1 landscape plus 1 extended"
Current.png

however i dont have the 3 eyefinity-ed together yet (just installed last night). i would like to get 2 19" used dell monitors and place them on the top on each side of the hdtv so it was a 3x2 set up. Like this:
potential.png

Potentially this:
maybe.png

My question is can i eyefinity the bottom 3 22" monitors for gaming and just extend the 2 dell monitors that are above? with potential of using the hdtv as a 6th monitor and also keep it extended? if so what hardware would i need to connect 6 monitors to one card?

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Your gpu has not enough vram for that I think. (To play games and that stuff) you'll need at least 2gb memory

claptonman

That would not increase the amount of vRam you have. You'll most likely be able to play on low-medium settings.

Smileman beat me to it.

astinkybumb

when you say not enough vram does that mean i wont have enough power to support 6 monitors? or power to support high resolution gaming in eyefinity? or neither. my last graphics card was a 9800gt that was pre installed on my system. im pretty oblivious to graphic cards.

claptonman

It will play, but the amount of vRam will be limiting it. VRam is directly related to resolution.

A single 1080p monitor uses more than 1GB of vRam, (playing BF3 on ultra) so imagine what 3 monitors would do.

So basically you won't get that great of framerates.

astinkybumb

alright im not worried about running ultra graphics i would just like to optimize my 3 screens... how do i do that? ive been messing with it all night. I have a DVI cable in both DVI ports and a mini display to dvi display port and i can only get 2 monitors at once? what do i need to do to get the 3rd potentially 4th monitor?

astinkybumb

Ok apparently i need an active displayport adaptor for one of the mini display ports. If i want to run 4 monitors do i need two active display port adapters?
This graph i found for the 6870 is confusing me how do you get 2 displays connected to one mini display port?
Screenshot2012-07-18at73452AM.png

according to this graph if i just plug in the cables for 4 monitors in dvi-d dvi-i and 2 mini display ports with no adapters i should be able to configure and use 4 monitors. however all 4 show up in catalyst program but when i have 2 selected and go to select a 3rd it says i need to disable one of my 2 selected.
i just want to be able to run 4-5 monitors ill leave my tv out of this. Again do i need 2 active display port adapters for the two mini display ports if i want to run 4-5 monitors?

astinkybumb

Im gonna bump this one more time before i dub it dead. i would like to get my monitors working so if i need 2 active adapters i hope some one can tell me yes or no.

kdfresh09

yes, you need to get 2 x active display adaptors, if you want to run more than 2 monitors of the card. for gaming, running eye finity alone will be pointless for the most part, let alone running 4 + screens at ounce. but for non gaming purposes, you should be great.

astinkybumb

Thank you!!!! i plan to run eyefinity on 3 just during gaming. 4th will always be out of eyefinity mode for network monitoring vm or guides and stuff. thank you very much!