Radeon HD 8000 cards to debut in Q2'13?

spirit

Staff member
If this is anything to go by http://neogadgetreview.com/amd-8970-and-amd-8950-first-signs-of-its-features.html the Radeon HD 8970 and 8950 should be coming out in Q2 possibly with the other cards to follow.

I know these hardware preview sites and articles are not always correct, but if the new cards are coming out soonish, I may think about buying one depending on how money and the 5870 are treating me. Might go for an 8850 or an 8870, doubt I'll have any money for an 89xx card.

spirit

Staff member
I think 12GB of V-RAM is serious, serious overkill. Even 3GB is wayyyy more than enough at the moment.

wolfeking

banned
But if you look back, 1GB was serious overkill when your 5870 came out. And now you're on the short end. Also take into account that 4k resolution should be making it into computers real soon, which will push vRAM needs even higher.

Personally though, I am holding off for the GTX770. It will then last until GTX870. And be enough for another year. :(

spirit

Staff member
^ Very true indeed. I suppose things move on.

Not sure if I'll get one or not. It depends entirely on money and how the performance is compared to the current AMD and NVIDIA cards. Might be able to get a nice deal on a HD 7870 or 7950 when the new cards come out, not sure.

wolfeking

banned
They should be a decent upgrade. Something like 15% or so iirc. It is basically just a revision to the current cards. Kind of like 5000 vs 6000 or GF100 vs GF110. Just revisions.

Darren

Staff member
Just got my card and it's already about to be replaced. Be nice if stuff just stop getting better. I'm content with graphics now, especially if it means I don't have to pay more to upgrade any more. :D

spirit

Staff member
The 5870 is still working nicely for me.

And Denther, your 7850 will still be a good'un for a while yet I think, especially at your resolution. Technology gets replaced all the time, it's just the nature of the beast. In December 2010 I bought an i5 760 and an LGA 1156 board. Two weeks later in January 2011, Sandy Bridge and 1155 came out. Then in March last year I got a 2500K. A month later it was replaced by the 3570K. You could just say I bought at the wrong time, but I wasn't prepared to wait.

spirit

Staff member
Bit of a disappointment to see they're just going to be rebadged Southern Island GPUs. A bit like the GeForce 8 to 9 series transition I guess.

jonnyp11

I think these are only the OEM ones, rebadged hd7000 series. The retail hd8000 will be the real improvements

I highly doubt they'd release both oem and non-oem series in the same year, there is a logic behind the oem series but none behind 2 different ones

claptonman

I think 12GB of V-RAM is serious, serious overkill. Even 3GB is wayyyy more than enough at the moment.

LdVVI1z.gif

Is it? :p

wolfeking

banned
You're missing the point jonny. Look at the read out. 2200MB @ 0% load. That is not in a game. THat is desktop use (maybe a movie or something ).

And do a little research. There are far more peopleusing 1440p than you think. I only hope it is half decent picture, as 1080p @ 21.5" looks like pixelated ass.

StrangleHold

Staff member

I think these are only the OEM ones, rebadged hd7000 series. The retail hd8000 will be the real improvements

Like SmileMan said those are not the right ones. The 8950/8970 has a bigger die 365mm vs 400mm. Plus the shader count is higher, the 7950 has 1792. The 8950 has 2304. The 7970 has 2048, the 8970 has 2560. The 8950/8970 has higher bandwidth too. Really a big diffeence. The transistor count is up from 4.31 billion to 5.1 billion.

The 8870 has the same spec as the 7950 but with only a 256 bit memory, where the 7950 has 384 bit.