RAID or not?

leetkyle

As a gamer, a small 74GB Raptor is just crippling me - so I have decided to sell it and go with some much larger disks. I do quite a bit of gaming (Battlefield 2, CM: DiRT etc). What solution would be best?

RAID 0
2 x 250 GB Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive

Single Drive

500GB Western Digital WD5000KS Caviar SATA-II 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive
The single drive is £15 cheaper and also means that my disk failure rate is "half" (in theory, compared to RAID 0)

I appreciate your input.

K.

As a gamer, a small 74GB Raptor is just crippling me - so I have decided to sell it and go with some much larger disks. I do quite a bit of gaming (Battlefield 2, CM: DiRT etc). What solution would be best?

RAID 0
2 x 250 GB Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive

Single Drive

500GB Western Digital WD5000KS Caviar SATA-II 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive
The single drive is £15 cheaper and also means that my disk failure rate is "half" (in theory, compared to RAID 0)

I appreciate your input.

K.

Yeah good idea to me, load up times will be faster, maybe 5fps of difference in gaming. Are you backing the RAID array up on the single?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
RAID is good... I used a pair of Raptors a while back and it was pretty darn fast. However, under normal circumstances, I really saw no performance increase over a good single drive. Plus you have more of a chance of failure, more power, more heat... Typically I'd stay away from RAID unless it's much cheaper or you do something like a mirrored set.

leetkyle

It would be my primary drive and I'd install all my applications on it etc. 500GB is quite a lot to lose - so I am sort of leaning towards one of the single drives because it is both cheaper and less likelihood of failure.

I appreciate both your inputs :)

TheMajor

RAID0 is not really worth it. I have 2 drives in RAID0, loading times improved a little, but that's about it. You won't get better fps; for that you would have to get a better graphics card, memory or CPU.