(RAM) 6GB-[3GB Available]

felcio

Hello, i have a little problem.
Basically i have 6GB RAM installed but it says 3GB Available
I have DDR2 PC2-5300 2x2GB sticks and DDR2 PC2-5300 2x1GB sticks
The 2x2 GB sticks are from Crucial and the 2x1GB i had from when i bought my computer, they are from company SiS Module.

I have disabled that maximum memory in msconfig and in my boot options i cannot find any memory remap thing so help please

Thanks

felcio

I have a 64 bit windows 7,
i had vista 32 but it showed that i have 3024MB so i reinstalled to win7 64bit

tremmor

Is it working now with windows 7 64 bit installed?

Else goto start, right click computer / properties and whats it show.

felcio

the problem is with win7 64 bit, i had similar problem at vista but it only said 3024MB but now with win7 it is 6GB (3GB available)

Jamebonds1

the problem is with win7 64 bit, i had similar problem at vista but it only said 3024MB but now with win7 it is 6GB (3GB available)

It look like windows using half of your RAM in order to boost it up for you. by the way, did you using resource monitor? Or Task Manager?

Geoff

VIP Member
As far as I know if you have Windows 7 32 bit, you need to buy the 64 bit version, you can't simply reinstall it as a 64 bit OS. Right click on "Computer" and verify that it says you have a 64 bit OS.

Jamebonds1

That is how much free space you have on your RAM. type dxdiag on "search program and file" to find the system information like CPU, OS, RAM, and Video card. Your computer windows 7 64 bit already used half of your ram.

felcio

i used that dxdiag and it says my total memory is
6144-2034 Used, 4104 Available
and what am i supposed to look for there?

Jamebonds1

i used that dxdiag and it says my total memory is
6144-2034 Used, 4104 Available
and what am i supposed to look for there?

There should be "Memory: 6144 MB". If so, it is normal and it is all good. That task manages show how much free space you have on your RAM. So it is no problem.

You see "Page file: 2034 Used, 4104 Available"? That's show you how much stored in RAM and free space in RAM.

Darren

Staff member
I had this exact problem when I built my computer. Try swapping the RAM sticks or simply reseat them.

If that doesn't work reset your BIOS. It won't reset your computer, just the settings in your BIOS. If you have a manual for your motherboard or BIOS look in there on how to reset it to default. Or look up a guide online. Should be fairly simple.

It seemed the problem was that it just recognized it wrong. After reseting my BIOS with a click of a button and restarting it fixed it immediately.

linkin

VIP Member
A few things:

64-bit O/S (you've got this)
Motherboard brand and model (see what amount of memory it supports)
RAM brand and model (to see if there are any known compatibility issues)
Check MSCONFIG (start > run) in the boot tab, make sure that the MAXMEM option is unchecked.

felcio

my motherboard is foxconn g33 and it supports 8gb ram ( thats what it said online)
i have 2x1GB SiS ram and 2x2GB Crucial Ram
msconfig that max memory box is unchecked
i might reset my bios and see what happens now