RAM allocation issues

Glliw

Okay, so this is for my laptop. HP dv6700. My problem is it is supposed to have 3gb of ram available. Task manager only shows 2046mb installed and 1096 as cached Has only 56mb free right now. This is in Vista, and I know that vista likes to keep things "busy" but even as I approach the cap of my free memory, like in the range of 1.4-1.6gb used up, it still doesn't give up any of the cached. Where'd my other Gig go?

EDIT: here's a screenshot of CPUZ and Task manager together.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Seems there's 5 billion dv6700 models, do you know which one specifically you have?

I'm thinking its onboard devices (ie video) taking memory addresses away but that seems like an awful lot, especially for a laptop.

Glliw

Seems there's 5 billion dv6700 models, do you know which one specifically you have?

I'm thinking its onboard devices (ie video) taking memory addresses away but that seems like an awful lot, especially for a laptop.

Dv6000, then dv6700, then another sticker says dv6871us lol.

This is its specs:

C2D T5550 @1.83ghz
Ram Installed: 3gb
32bit vista home premium
8400m GS graphics card
15.4" screen
320gb HDD

Its about a year old. I got it through bestbuy online or through HP directly..can't remember. But it did not used to have this memory issue.

The graphics card itself has 256mb of its own ram, which GPU-Z is showing.

Glliw

According to HP (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...9512&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN) your video card can be configured to use up to 1535 MB of memory, 256MB is dedicated. Your BIOS is likely configured to allocate the max amount of RAM to your video card. If you look around in the BIOS you should be able to find the setting to adjust how much RAM is allocated for video and turn it down.

Thanks man, I'll check that here in a couple hours after I get out of the gym and back to my laptop. Hopefully that'll resolve this. That's pretty intense to allocate that much for that laptop. I don't think it could ever utilize that much video ram, lol. Nor do I ask it to.

Glliw

Looked in the BIOS and there was no option to change it. Only options really were clock and memory tester, which I ran and came back clean.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I can't seem to find a real manual for your laptop, it could be that HP doesn't let you change how much memory the video card takes. You could always try calling HP and asking one of their service reps, they would probably know how to change the allocation (if it can be done) since I'd think this is a common problem.

poke349

Assuming it's 2 + 1GB sticks, try pulling out the 2GB stick and booting. That should force the BIOS to reduce the reserved video memory down - then hope that it stays that way.

Glliw

Assuming it's 2 + 1GB sticks, try pulling out the 2GB stick and booting. That should force the BIOS to reduce the reserved video memory down - then hope that it stays that way.

That is how its arranged, but I'd rather not crapshoot an idea like that. If whomever wrote the code had half a brain, I'm sure it'll revert to how it was before when reinserted.