ram compatability issue it seems

deathrament

i have a pc chips board... pentium d with 1 gig of ram. So i decieded i wanted to in the future add 2gig of ram however i only have 2 mem slots and had them filled with 2 512 sticks, so i bought 1 kingston stickpc3200 400ghz and took one of the other sticks out which are both pc2700 333mhz...seemed to be okay but computer wasnt workin great, randon crashing to blue screen so i ran memory test in vista came back that there was a problem. So i took out my stick of 512 and tested again and test came back ok this time computer seems to be running fine now, so i assume that my board doent like those 2 sticks together..i also noticed when i had both sticks in that when i boot up and it shows how much memory u have and the speed, even though i was running a mixture of 400 and 333mhz speed it was showing 400 on startup ..that normal? Shouldnt it have said 333mhz? Terrible sorry for long post and bad grammer.

Jet

VIP Member
It should have downclocked to the DDR-333. That might be the issue. Try putting the one DDR400 stick and the other DDR333 stick, and go into your BIOS and manually select DDR333.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
If Jet's advice doesn't help then the two DIMMS probably didn't like each other, like you surmised. You might be able to sell the 2 512Mb sticks to fund another Gb stick.. Go 2Gb!