RAM Help

Ace1627

I have 256MB Kingston DDR400 in my computer now. I just bought 1GB PC3200 DDR and it does not run in my computer. Nor did another 1GB DDR400 I also bought. None work solo in the computer. If I put them in all different combination of slots with the 256 the computer will run but only recognizes the 256. I have a INTEL 865PERL mobo.

Ace1627

Also my BIOS doesn't recognize any of the 1GB sticks even being in the slots. Or at least I do not think so. It says, not installed. Someway to install it? Eh? I have no idea. Wierd stuff, never happened before.

4W4K3

VIP Member
"Support for up to 4 GB of system memory"

Straight from Intel sight...indeed it is odd. You are sure that the memory is not fried or anything. Or that your DIMM slots are working good?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
*why isnt this in RAM? moved*

Well is that 1GB SS or 1GB DS (single vs double sided)? :)

mgoldb2

VIP Member
If it like my motherboard you have 3 choices 1) only 1 ram stick in slot (this only works if it single channel.) 2) 2 sticks in slot 1 and 3 (must be dual channel)3) 4 ram stick in all 4 slots.(duel channel) It does not work in any other combination then those 3. You should look at your motherboard manual to see what setups work in your motherboard. there no setup that I know of that works with 1 duel channel ram.

Last edited:

Ace1627

The 256 is ss and the two 1gb is ds Also all slots are working fine because I can stick the 256 in any slot and it works. These are 2 brand new sticks so unlikely that both are bad. And as for what mgoldb2 was saying, doesn't matter, because none of the 1GB sticks work solo so it is not a question of channeling.