Ram in a PC vs Ram in a Mac

vonfeldt7

I'm looking at some laptops for video editing, and one major decision I'll have to make is if I want to get a mac, or a pc. A big part of the decision will depend on the RAM.

My question is will 2GB be enough for Leopard if I'm planning to do multimedia work? I personally don't think it is in Vista, and I would want 4GB...but after watching some videos of macbooks/macbooks pros with Photoshop, etc I'm not sure if 4GB is necessary.

What do you guys think? Is it worth paying an extra $200 for 4GB if I go with a mac? More importantly, would I even need it? (Again, this is for the mac, if I get a pc I'm definitely getting 4Gb or RAM)

Thanks

tlarkin

VIP Member
You can buy the standard MBP and then add 2 gigs of after market RAM and not pay the Apple Prices. Apple uses RAM with very certain hardware specifications which are a bit, well over the top to say the least. The down side is, not all "cheap RAM" is compatible with a Mac, but for the most part I haven't ran into really that many incompatible sticks.

Is 2 gigs of RAM enough to run leopard? yes, my G5 at home only has 1 gig of RAM and it runs Leopard fine, and I even game on it with only 1 gig.

For video editing? it depends on how serious you get. If you are editing say terrabytes of digital media, adding custom audio tracks to it, and rendering it to whatever format all at once, then yeah you should probably just go ahead and get a Mac Pro desktop, or a MBP laptop and max out the RAM on it.

About 2gb ram not being enough in vista, my laptop came standard with 1gb because alienware charges around $150 to upgrade to 2 gigs. I now have 2gb's of ram in my laptop, and I have to say, I have never had a problem. My ram usage never gets above 1/2 or 1gb, and my windows experience rating went from 4.8 to 5.2 or 5.3. If you do a lot of video editing or large photoshop projects however, I would recommend 3 or 4gb's.

edit: No, do not pay $200 for mac to upgrade the ram. You can buy 4gb's of laptop ram off newegg.com for less than half that price.

vonfeldt7

After looking into it all, maybe I'll just get an HP...I can get one with 4GB of RAM, with a 2.4Ghz c2d, a 20in screen, a mobility radeon HD 2600 XT, and a 240GB hdd for about $1200.

cohen

If you get a mac book pro, buy some ram of newegg and upgrade it, i recommend it, easy way to do it!