RAM Issue. Any help appreciated.

wungoodshu

I have 2 GB of RAM (linked here.) and decided to upgrade to 4 GB. I tried installing the new 2 GB into my motherboard (linked here.) but it does not seem to want to accept it. Both sets of RAM work fine independently, and they both work in either of the cooresponding slots (if that made sense) but, when all 4 are installed, I can't boot up. I do have Vista, and they are Vista compatible. If I do manage to get to the BIOS screen, it will tell me that windows can't boot up cause of a hardware issue. I'm given the option to start windows normally anyway, but if I try, it just takes me back to the BIOS screen, but doesn't allow me to do anything (such as press DEL to go to setup). I decided to put in all 4 sticks of RAM in and try to get to the BIOS setup screen as quickly as possible. It acknowledges the fact that there are 4 GBs of RAM installed, but I can't get windows to start up. Right now I'm on the same computer with 2 GBs of this same RAM installed and it's working fine. Anyone know what the problem could be?

wungoodshu

Well I installed that update, restarted to let it apply it, shut the computer off, installed the RAM again, and booted up..... still no windows. =/ Is there anything else that could be the problem?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've read that people have the same problem, what they did was clean install Vista with all 4GB of RAM installed, I don't know if you can do that?

wungoodshu

I suppose I could. Maybe as like a last resort. I'd like to see if there's any other options before hand though.

wungoodshu

i didnt read ur whole post, but is it a 32 bit or 64 bit vista?

It's 64-bit. I've just about reached the point where I'm gonna say to hell with it, and wipe out the hard drive and start over. I have nothing important on here anyway.

Vizy

Did ur comp come w/ restore CD's? My dad comp is vista, but i dont tinker around w/ it, so ill tell u how to do it in XP style stuff:

Put in ur Restore cds before u shutdown ur comp, the comp may ask you for something just close it though. Shut down ur comp then upon the restart get into the bios. Once in go to boot order and change it to the CDROM thing. Save ur changes and exit, then a msg should pop up asking for u too press any key to continue, press the 'v' key to boot up and windows should install. BTW u can press any key really i was just really bored so i put that in there.

If u dont have ur RESTORE CDS, u need to get a retail, or OEm, or Restore CDs, these can be bought, but even though ur recoveryl Cds maybe only $15, remmeebr if u put them into another comp, they wont work, u would need ur mobo to get tatooed, which i tried at bestbuy. but they couldnt do it, and they took my damn $30 w/p refund because there is no refund for service charges.

U can buy ur Recovery Cds on the website of ur comp manufacturer. if u post up ur comp we can help u get the link.

btw wish me googluck on studying for my spanish test :)

wungoodshu

Yeah, I've tried booting up from the CD. But this is basically what happens.

With 2 GB installed, I can do whatever I want, nothing goes wrong.

Problem is, with 4 GB installed, if I boot up from the CD, it loads windows files, gets to 100%, and BSOD tells me that my hardware is screwed up. All 4 GB are the same thing, they are dual channel, and the one set of 2 works fine alone, and the other set of 2 works fine alone, but all 4 don't want to work together.