RAM not useable

awildgoose

So I have 4 GB of RAM in my computer now (2x 2GB sticks) of the same type, brand Mhz etc.
I am running Windows 7 64x but it says only 3.25 GB are usable.
6_blarg.png

That is my control panel.
Please please help me out:(

Thanks in advance.

tyttebøvs

You could check for memory remapping in your bios setup. But if the motherboard/chipset doesn't support it, you are out of luck.

linkin

VIP Member
Yeah your best bet is to check your bios. or maybe swap where the sticks are on the motherboard and see if anything changes.

awildgoose

The thing is, it does actually say that 4 GB is installed and that only 3.25 is usable. Also it is 64-bit so the maximum is something like 128 GB for this new windows.
Grrrr.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if for some reason windows is using the rest of your ram for graphics?

what graphic card have you got?

Matthew1990

I'd think it is the boot problem, happened to me.

Go to msconfig, boot, advanced, and uncheck the mazimum memory box. restart pc.

ScottALot

Go to Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System Settings --> Advanced --> Performance --> Press Settings --> Advanced --> Virtual Memory --> Press Change --> Click on the Custom Size Bubble --> Change initial size and maximum size to the recommended values and hit OK until you get to a restart computer prompt. --> Restart

That should solve the problem. :)

tyttebøvs

Scott, are you commenting in the correct thread?

Because I cannot see how the pagefile system affects the amount of physical memory.

ScottALot

Won't your computer use more of your memory then? I had the same problem... said I had 3.23GB of memory and I adjusted the page-file and it said 4.0GB of 4.0GB usable + page file.

linkin

VIP Member
This gives me an idea. you have 4gb of ram so set the pagefile to 4gb, restart and see what happens.

tyttebøvs

The size of the pagefile, pagefile or no pagefile at all have no influence on how much physial memory you can use.

The problem is probably: 1) memory remapping is disabled, 2) his board doesn't support memory remapping

Last edited:

awildgoose

I had already set the pagefil to 4996, which is what it said I should do anyway, that changed it from saying 2 GB usable to what it is now.
And in msconfig I have already set maximum to 4096 which is 4.00 GB.