RAM not useable

TFT

VIP Member
Listen to tyttebovs, your motherboard is the problem, most likely the motherboard/chipset has a 32bit address bus limitation.

awildgoose

Listen to tyttebovs, your motherboard is the problem, most likely the motherboard/chipset has a 32bit address bus limitation.

I I think that's the problem, but oh well... I'm happy anyway, I can still notice the increase in games.

awildgoose

Alright I un-checked the box for maximum RAM, but then my computer went crazy. I booted it up (the next day - today) and it took about 10 minutes to get to the login screen. About another 5 minutes to login.... once I did get it, my CPU meter was 100% for both cores! Although it did say I had 4096 mb of RAM... so my board can handle that I guess. So I restarted it a couple of times in safe mode to see if the same thing happened, it does!
My CPU's were running at 100% and going really slow... it seems the only way my computer can run normally is to have maximum RAM on 4096 and just use the 3.25 GB they give me :(

Laquer Head

My old laptop showed 4GB on Win7 ultimate x64 RC..

when I went to Win7 Pro x64 it was 3.25GB useable

Now, on my new laptop with Win7 Pro x64 its 8GB

My Sony All-in-One with Win7 Pro x64 shows 4GB

The sony and old laptop are both 2 years old...

bizarre!

Last edited:

awildgoose

My old laptop showed 4GB on Win7 ultimate x64 RC..

when I went to Win7 Pro x64 it was 3.25GB useable

Now, on my new laptop with Win7 Pro x64 its 8GB

My Sony All-in-One with Win7 Pro x64 shows 4GB

The sony and old laptop are both 2 years old...

bizarre!

That's not very reassuring at all :(

Thanks anyway guys.

awildgoose

def. sounds like a 32 bit memory address limitations on the mobo.

The thing is though, when I un-checked the box for maximum memory I booted it up and it said I had 4Gb, but my CPU cores were both at 100% and they would not go down, I ran it for like half and hour and not one decrease in %. But when I do check the box and set it to 4096 boot time is halved and the CPU cores are at a good %.. around 10.

tyttebøvs

Defective hardware/driver can do that.

Btw, that maximum memory setting sets the highest physical address that Windows will use. So if you set that a 4G, you will prevent Windows from using any remapped ram.