RAM or HDD???

JFHuff

So...3 months ago i purchased a dell Dimension E310. Had a gig of ram and a 160 gig hdd as well as a pentium 4 3.0ghz. Well when the computer got here it worked fine at first then it started to decrese in performance. Mainly my nortan system works and internet security are affected. One button checkup would freeze in the middle and nortan internet security wouldnt load. I know it wasnt a softwear issue bc i have the same software on another computer downstairs and it works fine plus we (meaning me and DELL...called them 6-8 times) reinstalled the OS.

After all that mess i built a new computer. Same specs as the dell(didnt want to use dell parts bc i didnt know which ones were the problem) Last night i decided id take the hdd from the dell as well as the ram. Put it into the new comp i built (which up to that time worked great). So now it has 2gig of ram and 320gig hdds. Worked for a couple hours then it started to have the same problems as the DELL did. This time even worse. The nortan go-back feture while loading up wasnt affected before in the DELL but now it is.

So i narowed the DELL problem down to the ram or the hdd. I figure (im probably wrong) that since i dont have any nortan product installed on the new hdd from the dell than its probably the ram. I want to figure out what i can keep and what i cant use.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...been working on this for 3 -4 months now and all i want is a working computer.

JFHuff

Does anyone know any good diagnostic utilities that might help me find out the problem??

Last edited:

tommycompton

send it back to dell, make note to self never to buy from dell again:D

you can run memtest to find out if its your ram, and western digital has a hard drive diagnostic tool but i'm not sure if it works on other brands if yours isn't.

Last edited:

mlurp

banned
tommycompton said:
send it back to dell, make note to self never to buy from dell again:D

you can run memtest to find out if its your ram, and western digital has a hard drive diagnostic tool but i'm not sure if it works on other brands if yours isn't.

Just dump the Norton Package! Clean the machine and then the free space and you will see some improvemement.
I agree Dell sucks! Why as with Norton any number company one is going to become the beast. Gateway or HP offer what Dell on it's climb to the top once did. Quality control and GOOD service. If you send it back U have a long wait!
When I bought my new HP from Best Buy in Evansville, IN I told the man don't put any Norton or AOL installs on the machine or I will return it, period.
They listened!
Even if you hav eto re-format it is worth it.

JFHuff

thanks....im pretty sure its the ram so i removed the 2 sticks that came with dell as well as i removed the nortan system works.