Ram or Video card

daflo1

I am building a system for gaming, and was woundering what would be better to have ram or video card. I cant have both cause im on a TIGHT budget.

atm I have it set up with 512mb pc3200 ram and a sapphire ati radeon 9800pro 128mb 256bit.

I was woundering if i should degrade the video card and upgrade ram to 1gb.what do you think? :confused: What would give me better preformence in games?

(pritty sure this is right spot to post :D wasnt sure)

Last edited:

P11

VIP Member
For a gaming computer the Graphic Card is the most important thing- ram is also important but 512 ddr is more than enough for most games and 1g would be optional. So upgrade the video card

P11

VIP Member
o wait i just saw somthing.....your video card is basically already good - i dont know but id still probably go with the video card. 1 g ram does sound good though

ZER0X

VIP Member
Don't bother degrading your GFX card unless your playing older sorta games, but that means you wouldn't even need 512mb with old games....so just stick with what u have now :)

Rambo

If your making a gaming system (you already have mobo or not?), you already have a good GFX Card, so if you have money left, upgrade to 1GB. But also, that depends on what games your playing. Things like Doom 3 will want the best for everything, 1GB of RAM and your current GFX Card would make that game run smooth. The game is everything ;).

I making a gaming pc for xmas, and I have a GFX card that can HANDLE games, nVidia FX 5200 128 MB TV OUT AGP is what I've got (I bought that one because it can handle the games currently out in shops and is cheap). I'm also hoping to get 1 GB of RAM, makes loading times quicker and things like that.

As I said, The game is everything.

P.S. I highly recommend the game "UT2004". It's an ace game, and has alot of mods you can download for extra fun.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well you already have a nice gaming computer assuming the rest is up to around the same specs as your graphics and mem.. Lets see 9800Pro is a great card and you have 512mb's of ram which is also nice..

Hmmmmm obviously your not happy so I recommend a new video card.. you'll see a big difference with 1gb of ram true but you'll notice a bigger difference I believe with an upgraded video card as no game really requires a system to have more then 512mb's of ram anyhow..

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah its a pretty even call, im proly in favour of the video card though. Having more ram *can* mean faster load times etc but *once it loads*, the stress is on the video card :)

jcline

The 9800 Pro is still a valid card when playing vid games, for gaming I recommend starting w/ 1GB RAM. When his budget loosens up in the future, the next recommendation would be for a vid card upgrade.

ZER0X

VIP Member
We have a LAN Parlour here in this city, and there computers are:

The specs of there PC machines are as follows:
Intel Pentium 4 2.4ghz Processor
MSI 845GE Mainboard
512mb DDR RAM
128mb Radeon 9700pro Video Card
80gb Seagate Barracuda 5 7200rpm Hard Drive
Mitsubishi 19" Flat Screen Monitor
Logitech Elite Multimedia Keyboard
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Altec Lansing Headphones
Hard Drive Sheriff Data Protection System

You don't need a lot of RAM just Graphics because even though 512mb does take a little while to load when it does load, it runs fine :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a pretty crummy mobo and proc there on that LAN system though ... i guess you cant have everything :)

ZER0X

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Thats a pretty crummy mobo and proc there on that LAN system though ... i guess you cant have everything :)

Sure is, but theres tons of em, and XBOX setups aswell....also Racing simulators to :p and well it is a pretty new place so......you'd have to predict that at the moment that they can't afford the best of the best :)

It's still fun to go and play though :D