Ram problem

PunterCam

I've got a 5820k which I've used as my Windows PC since 2015. A couple of years ago it became a bit temperamental and wouldn't always boot, sometimes beeping memory errors at me. I solved this by removing one of the 4x4GB sticks in the machine - I can't remember the logic behind which particular stick I removed, or whether it was related to the code I got, but whatever it was it fixed the problem.

Today I'm doing my bi-annual computer shuffle, where my macbook takes over as my work computer, my 8700k hackintosh becomes my Windows PC, and (usually) the Windows machine (the 5820k) gets thrown in a skip. Except this time round the 5820k is still a great machine with many years left in it, so I'm trying to sort it out to pass it on down the family where it'll get some use.

But I've still got the memory issue. I've reseated all the memory, swapped the sticks around, tried different combinations, and nothing works. As soon as there is a full complement of RAM, the thing won't boot. I've removed the CPU, checked the pins for any bent ones, put it back in, no change. I imagine something on the motherboard or CPU has failed and I'm just stuck like this, but any other thoughts would be great.

P

Intel_man

VIP Member
If I'm understanding you correctly, you took one of the sticks out previously because you were getting memory errors. Now, you've reused that stick and added it back into the computer to get the 4x4gb configuration?

If that's correct, it sounds like the memory stick you took out previously is dead and putting it back in years later isn't going to magically fix itself. Confirm which stick is the dead one, and either replace it with a new identical module, or if it's not made anymore, an equivalent pair of 2x4gb sticks with matching speeds and timing if possible.