Ram quality

H_L

How is the quality and reliability of the G.Skill ram overall? Or do you get what you pay for?

We have 3 computers at work with G.Skill ram and they haven’t missed a beat for about 5 years but some others say otherwise.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Gskill Ripjaws is all I'll ever use anymore. Awesome ram. I used to be strictly Corsair. Not sure why others are saying bad things about them. They are probably the most commonly used anymore.

Darren

Staff member
GSkill is considered one of the better RAM brands, although honestly RAM is RAM to varying degrees. They're all still primarily made by the same two manufacturers, Hynix or Samsung. My Corsair 2x8GB 3200MHz CAS 16 are Hynix but other Corsairs might be Samsung dies at the same clock speed but lower CAS latency. Manufacturer warranty and binning are the two main aspects to considering with RAM brands but generally RAM is RAM and either works or it doesn't out of the box.

OmniDyne

I think at this point every RAM manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty. As was stated, RAM is RAM; it's extremely reliable by nature and, generally speaking, brand isn't a major factor (in the United States, that is).

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I think at this point every RAM manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty. As was stated, RAM is RAM; it's extremely reliable by nature and, generally speaking, brand isn't a major factor (in the United States, that is).
I have had some questionable no name brand from overseas, usually via Ebay.

Shlouski

VIP Member
I've had ram from numerous manufacturers over the last 20 years and I have had few problems. Most of the ram I end up with is either Kingston or corsair as they are easy to get hold of on my little island, they have always been solid for me and perform well when it comes to overclocking. Occasionally you can come across some ram sticks that don't like some systems and I've found that some sticks can limit cpu overclocks, the worst offender I remember was some geil black dragon I had in my q9550 build.

beers

Staff member
Gotta love the gskills. Haven't had issues and have had a few kits for like 10 years, have had issues with other brands like mushkin throwing bitflips and having crappy support. Gskill rolls fast stuff with decent support so its an easy win. Crucial was pretty good with RMA, they even accepted some sticks that 'worked but threw errors' after a lightning strike.

I think I'm becoming more of an old geezer just shopping brands that have less-than-trash support.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I think I'm becoming more of an old geezer just shopping brands that have less-than-trash support.
what a geezer. lool

Had a stick of ram from corsair not post for me. RMA process with them was pretty fast. (this was before they got bought out by an investment company)

H_L

Cheers for all your replies!!
The computer store said they don’t sell G.Skill as they have had way to many come back with issues, got no idea what they are on about as I've had good runs with them

I was thinking of some G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX (2x8GB) Can that be used with intel too?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of some G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX (2x8GB) Can that be used with intel too?
Yes. Even though some ram says AMD and some say Intel, they can still be used with the other platform.

OmniDyne

Yes. Even though some ram says AMD and some say Intel, they can still be used with the other platform.

Depending on the motherboard, though. I think Intel H and B series boards (anything non-Z) don't support memory overclocking. Coffee Lake is locked at 2666MHz and Kaby Lake is locked at 2400MHz.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Depending on the motherboard, though. I think Intel H and B series boards (anything non-Z) don't support memory overclocking. Coffee Lake is locked at 2666MHz and Kaby Lake is locked at 2400MHz.
That's still fine. It just means the DDR4-3200 ram runs at the JEDEC spec. Not ideal since you normally pay more for higher rated speeds, but it won't cause harm to motherboards that can't overclock memory.