RAM question

Metallica17

Okay so I want to get 2 gigs of Ram so I can have a total of 3 gigs. But I want to know which slot to put the ram in. Right now I have a one gig ram in the first yellow Ram slot (My motherboard is the Asus M2NBP-VM CSM) Here is a link-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...072&cm_re=m2nbp-vm_csm-_-13-131-072-_-Product

About two months ago I bought a 2GB stick of ram, and wasn't sure which slot to put it in. I put it in each slot, and my computer would read it and say I had 3 gigs of ram. But after about 1 minute of running, my computer would shut off. The one thing I forgot to do was try it with just the 2 gig and take out the 1 gig I have in now. So my question is, which slot should I put the 2GB of RAM in?

EDIT: The ram I bought was DDR2 PC2 8500. Just thought that might help.

Last edited:

Metallica17

Okay. And also I have a program called SIW which tells you your computer specs. It says that the maximum memory supported on my motherboard is 4 gigs. 1 gig each slot. But according to newegg and crucial.com, Each ram slot can handle 2 gigs. So can each slot take 1 or 2 gigs?

StrangleHold

Staff member
He already answered my question. But I have another. If I get one gig instead of two, will I notice a difference? (I have one gig now so then I would have two gigs)

Yeah, two would be better then one. Especially since you only have 1gb. It really depends on how much memory your system uses. When you run out of physical memory your system starts using your virtual memory(harddrive) slower then the physical memory.

Say you have 1gb. and your system is usually using 1.25gb or more, its hitting your virtual memory alot. So adding more memory will speed your system up.

Metallica17

Yeah, two would be better then one. Especially since you only have 1gb. It really depends on how much memory your system uses. When you run out of physical memory your system starts using your virtual memory(harddrive) slower then the physical memory.

Say you have 1gb. and your system is usually using 1.25gb or more, its hitting your virtual memory alot. So adding more memory will speed your system up.

Alright thanks. I don't have a lot of money now so I think I'm just going to get 1 gig. So to be sure which slot would I put just the 1 gig in? Right now I have 1 gig in the first black slot (Closest to the CPU) so where would I put the other gig I buy?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yes the two yellow slots. Yeah, the G Skill is good memory. It probably runs on less voltage then the A-Data you got. But you should be fine. They have A Data for about four more bucks. Not sure if its the same model as yours, but its better to run matched sets. You know the model number of the A Data you got?

Metallica17

Yes the two yellow slots. Yeah, the G Skill is good memory. It probably runs on less voltage then the A-Data you got. But you should be fine. They have A Data for about four more bucks. Not sure if its the same model as yours, but its better to run matched sets. You know the model number of the A Data you got?

Um where would I find the model? It's probably on the stick of RAM but I would have to look. Or is there a program that can scan my computer or something and tell me the specs of the RAM? Wait I just remembered I think its 3-3-3-21? I know the threes are right but I don't know about the 21. But that's the timings lol not the model number. I have no idea what the model number is.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Looks like its DDR2 667. Under the Memory tap it will tell you what timing its running at. Something like PC Wizard will show the voltage. Could not find any A-Data that matched.

Best to get a stick thats close as possible in speed/timing/voltage as yours.

Last edited:

Metallica17

Looks like its DDR2 667. Under the Memory tap it will tell you what timing its running at. Something like PC Wizard will show the voltage. Could not find any A-Data that matched.

Best to get a stick thats close as possible in speed/timing/voltage as yours.

Okay can you point me in a direcetion? I have no idea on what type of RAM to get to tell you the truth.