RAM QUESTION

Hi i have 24GB of ram installed in my computer but when i view installed ram in the system tab on windows 10 it says 12gb, i downloaded cpu-z and it shows 24gb installed memory does anyone know why
ram is 2x8gb and 2x4gb all are the exact same model except different gb
can anyone explain this to me thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I mean its possible something is up with the new ram you put in. If you take out the old and put in the new what does it register? It's possible there is a compatibility issue between old and new ram.

Intel_man

VIP Member
What is the configuration of how your ram is being installed?

It sounds like it's only recognizing a single stick of 8gb and 4gb.

Did you install it in 8GB/4GB/8GB/4GB or 8GB/8GB/4GB/4GB ?

the ram i put in is from my other computer but its exactly the same as the new ram all thats different is the gigs
the motherboard is brand new aswell

I mean its possible something is up with the new ram you put in. If you take out the old and put in the new what does it register? It's possible there is a compatibility issue between old and new ram

beers

Staff member
should i have put the 8 gigs next to each other and the same with the 4 gigs
I'd consult your mobo manual for the channel assignments per slot. 8+8 and 4+4 would give you unbalanced, interleaved performance while (8+4) + (8+4) with balanced channels would give you the most consistent performance through the entire capacity.

Sometimes Windows specifies max memory in msconfig that's lower than your total viable capacity, in the past there's been a checkbox you could uncheck to release the maximum software limited capacity, but there may be other factors.

What are the models of the kits you're using?