Ram slot not working

jon76

Hi, I just go a replacement hard drive for my computer, so decided it would be a good time to strip my computer and remove the dust, when applying thermal paste, me being quite clumsy, I may have accidentally spilled a small amount of the thermal paste onto the ram slot, I've tried both ram sticks in both slots, and I've worked out that both sticks of ram work, but only in the right ram slot, if I put ram in either both slots or just the left slot, it starts booting, then I get 5 long beeps and it restarts, which after a quick google search apparently means a problem with the ram.

I've read the packet for the thermal compound, it says non-metalic

Is there any way anyone can think of that this could be remedied, or do I need a new motherboard, my computer is currently working, just with 8gb ram instead of 16gb, thanks in advance

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried blowing the slot out with compressed air that is having the issue? Just keep the can upright or you'll expel the liquid which you don't want. Other than that if you can find the motherboard on ebay, i would probably just guy a new one.

jon76

Thanks for the help, I was trying to do it with a toothbrush as I had nothing better at short notice, I'd not considered compressed air, but I don't have any at the minute, I know it's not ideal, but I was relying on a brush to get the dust out until I get some more compressed air, at which point, I'll give it a better go over.
I was hoping not to have to get a motherboard, in which case, I wanted a better cpu cooler any way, so it's tempting to just make do with less ram until I get a couple of upgrades
Thanks again

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought that if you had a magnifying glass and good light to actually look in the slot to see if there is foreign material or any pin damage as well.

ssal

Have you make sure that the ram is totally, snugly into the slot. I recently replaced my MB and the first run failed and it turned out that I didn't pushed them in properly.