Ram Timings

AlienMenace

Hello All;
I have not been on this site for a very long time. But the question that I am going to ask is this. I am still running DDR3 in my computer. Can't afford to build a new one. I have GSkill "Snipers" 2x4 = 8gb 1866 cas 9; 9-10-9-28 in the computer. And I ordered the same brand and speed but with the timing cas 10; 10-11-10-30. So, question is can I change the timing of the x cas to the cas 10 timings with no ill effect. And I just look it up and wow, I glad I ordered it when I did. So things sky rocketed, the cas 10's.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It should be okay. However it depends on how picky the motherboard is, some will have problems with different timings. You can try going into the bios ram overclock settings and see if you can manually set the timings to the other one.

AlienMenace

It should be okay. However it depends on how picky the motherboard is, some will have problems with different timings. You can try going into the bios ram overclock settings and see if you can manually set the timings to the other one.
Yes I would have to do that, if I let my bios do it. It would have a default for some reason to 1600 timing when on the package it says 1866. By doing this I would get a total of 24 gigs then.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Actually anything above 1866 would be overclocking for that board in your signature. You just need to enable xmp setting in bios to have it run at specified speed. You still might have to go in and manually set the timings.